Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price? - Page 4

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?
On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 07:15:53 -0800 WoolyBully

Nope. Guess again.

Afflictions?

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

Wishful thinking, I fear. Nice thought, though!

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

This is all publically available information.

Broadcom has nothing to do with the price, so why would they announce
anything about it?

The final retail price is set by the distributors (RS and Farnell), and at
least at the moment the advertised price seems to vary by local branch. Eg.
RS UK are still advertising a price of 21.60(1), which converts to $34.22,
but in the Philippines they are advertising it for PHP2000(2), which
converts to $47.43.

It's not a wholesale price.

-a

(1) <http://uk.rs-online.com/web/generalDisplay.html?id=raspberrypi
(2) <http://philippines.rs-online.com/web/generalDisplay.html?id=raspberrypi

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

Thanks Anders, so for clarification, it is a retail price, but retailers
are going to put another margin on top, in order to make a profit.

Cheers Don...

======================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics: http://www.dontronics-shop.com /

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

They might get some good publicity out of it on the coat tails of a
project that has from nowhere suddenly fired up the public imagination.

I think you will find there is 20% VAT to pay on top of the RS list
price so the end user price inclusive of tax if they are not a VAT
registered business will be 25.92.

It is the one off "I want to buy one" price and at the moment purchases
are limited to *one* per customer.

Martin Brown

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

As an "educationally-motivated effort", wouldn't something like this be
better?

http://www.brielcomputers.com/micro-KIM.html

I've been drooling over it for a while now, just love that "stop, single
step, go" hex keypad functionality and the whole design. Looks like a
fun kit to build as well.

--
modrobert
http://www.eurasia.nu /

The first batch of 10,000 units sold out in about 10 minutes according
to (sort of) reputable gossip. One of our people set up two PCs and
started pounding the refresh keys at the advertised time of 6a.m. He
still failed to get his order in.

I just got an email from one of the suppliers to place my pre-order
for a board from the second batch. Both suppliers are very reputable
and have both been in business for a very long time. Yes, I did place
my order for a Model B at a bit under 25, say less than USD 40.

I detect a note of "Not Invented Here" in some of the comments.
IMHO Raspberry Pi is a cause for celebration, not for whining.

Stephen

--
Stephen Pelc, snipped-for-privacy@mpeforth.com
Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

This is Usenet -- where _everything_ is a cause for whining.  :)

--
Grant

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

   GROW UP AND STOP YOUR WHINING!!!  ;-)

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

   Your 'people' sound like Apple sheep.  Or the idiots who stood
outside computer stores for two days, waiting for the release of Win
95.  If it's worthwhile, you'll get them after the madness.  BTW, there
is already an Ebay listing for a project box to house the pi.

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

Hype?

There are loads of boards out there (some with better specs) for
reasonable prices based on SoCs for which you can download full
datasheets and user manuals. In the long run such a board will be much
more usefull.

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

Whatcha gonna do wid dat pi Stephen?  If you want to push a forth on a
popular embedded platform, why not go for the BeagleBone?

Rick

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

How much do you image the real manufacturing cost of, say, an Android
smartphone is ?

geoff

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

I would imagine it could be in the range of 5% to 20% of the retail price, but
it must reach the wholesaler at a price
he can make a living out of it, otherwise he wouldn't be in business.

Cheers Don...

=========================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics: http://www.dontronics-shop.com /

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

Actually, even Apple isn't able to command that sort of markup with iPhones!

Here's an article that'll give you some more concrete numbers:
http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/03/02/what-doth-it-profit-an-iphone .
As you'll see, most phones cost some 60-70% of their selling price.

The margins in consumer electronics are very thin; it works because
there is so much volume.  There aren't that many wholesalers left anyway
-- at least in terms of volume, I think it's safe to say the vast
majority of electronics goes straight from the manufacturer to a
retailer; Wal*Mart and Best Buy aren't getting their phones from a
middleman, although some small mom & pop shop likely are.

(Indeed... you sometimes hear small businessmen complain that their
costs for products from their wholesalers are more than the retail price
from Wal*Mart or Costco...)

---Joel

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

Thats not entirely true. Shops like WM,BB and similar often have high
costs and usually are not cheap. They sell a few items below cost
price to appear cheap but with other things they most certainly are
not cheap. They are convenient because they have a large stock of many
items. Stock costs money. Smaller shops are cheaper in most cases if
they have what you need.

But then again, online shops are the future. Nowadays I even order
home improvement stuff online.

That's not a 'small business man' that's someone who shouldn't be in
business in the first place.

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?
RS Australia has it listed at $50, which is probably about what you'd
have to pay to get a $35 item from the UK including shipping.

I will certainly get one as soon as I can, I'd like to see whether it
can run apache as a home web server and home automation machine.

A full Linux machine for $50 is disruptive technology, if it does
perform as the hype suggests, I see a lot of uses for it, and probably a
flood of imitators.

The PIC and Arduino boards  certainly have their uses, but horse for
courses.

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?
3D%3D

Really, disruptive technology?  Is this really much less than the cost
of a smart cell phone which has a user interface and also makes phone
calls!

Rick

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

  You cannot physically turn things on and off with that (the phone). All
you can do is control the devices which can (these devices).

  His can switch relays on and off.  The damned things do need a net
connection though.

  So, look at say the ten times overpriced "industry" that was made by a
few for billiard halls to turn the lights on and off,and log play times.

  Each "receiver/switch" was very expensive and each table needs one.
The software was expensive as well.

 This would allow one to control any number of tables for a little over
$40 each.  And you could author and perfect your own time logging
application.  You could even put dimmers in and control the light level.

  I could sell this, if pool had more popularity.  Sadly, operating costs
have grown so much that the per hour rate for pool has gotten ridiculous.
They even charge per person now in some places instead of per table.

  How truly sad.  Bastards actually want to make money.  It should be
popular though.

 Dumb folks everywhere would rather give a bar money for liquor though.

  Billiards should be more popular.

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

I was discussing with someone that the Pi could be used as a musical
instrument: add an inexpensive USB audio/MIDI interface plus some
software, hook up a MIDI controller keyboard, and you have a hardware
sampler/synthesizer that can stream mega or gigabyte sound "patches" off
the memory card.  It could probably run the stage lighting if it's DMX
equipped.  And you're not out a grand if someone spills their beer on
it, unlike a laptop.

Site Timeline