Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

Notebook + cell phone + game console.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Get on the bus ten years ago, and nobody had a cell... maybe one or two, and a few had a non-connected MP3 player.

Get on a bus these days, and nearly every passenger has a cell, many have their faces stuffed into them, and next to none have additional MP3 players because their cell does that too. This includes any kid over about 11 yo.

Reply to
The_Giant_Rat_of_Sumatra

Saw a couple of 3&5YOs in a store the other day. Each had buds in the ears and a tablet in the paw.

Reply to
krw

Over a grand, I think, too. I don't want to replace the laptop, just augment it.

Reply to
krw

Including taxes over here UK got for 450 pounds and conversion rate is not $2 to 1 pound. The extra keyboard/trackpad section has additional batteries.

    PC Services
 Timing Diagram Font
  GNU H8 - compiler & Renesas H8/H8S/H8 Tiny
 For those web sites you hate
Reply to
Paul

From what I see, the "Transformer" line is around $500-$600 but they're Android. That's what I don't want. The "Slate" is around $1300, which is what I pay for reasonably high-end laptops. Lenovo has one of their convertibles (laptop w/keyboard or tablet) for about the same price, or even a little less.

Reply to
krw

Ha, good point!

I've moved as well; more wideband analog (with digital thrown in as needed), less narrowband RF-focused stuff.

I'm sure my former employer still thinks their product is going to completely capture much of the market of your former employer, though. :-) I was never entirely convinced of that, but -- assuming they actually get around to releasing it (like many small companies, I don't think we ever actually had a product release even close to the original schedule) -- it could be reasonably successful in venues where the ISM bands are quite crowded. (Your guys getting a 900MHz version out was a good move, IMO.)

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Mmm... maybe the Sony slider, soon-to-be released? -->

Of course, Sony has never been exactly cheap either...

Reply to
Joel Koltner

The stuff I'm working on now is still digital in an analog (audio) world but much higher end. I've just started on an amplifier with two of the largest SHARCs we could hook. ;-)

Wouldn't bother me a bit. I'm rooting for them. ;-)

Ours was three years late (I got there at the end) on a one year schedule, so... I could have saved them at *least* two years of that, including one to try it their way, and fail. ;-)

900MHz was really need for the domes and a few places where 2.4G is hugely overcrowded (and where the powersthatbe are afraid of 2.4G). It has too many other problems for general use. 2.4G is far superior for 95% of the installations.
Reply to
krw

Actually, Sony has been "cheap" in many ways. ;-)

Sony is on my DO NOT CONSIDER list.

Back to the point, though, if they can do a $400 X86 NetBook, why not a $400 X86 Tablet?

Reply to
krw

On, only for the past 2-3 decades now. :-)

My only guess is that their marketing research indicates they wouldn't be able to sell enough to get the price that low? Windows 7 is a bit klunky on tablets anyway; only Windows 8 is released later this year, though (that purportedly is highly "tablet friendly"), I'd expect that we will be seeing some inexpensive Win tablets.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Michael A. Terrell Inscribed thus:

Works fine for me as well !

--
Best Regards:
                          Baron.

Yet another term JW is absolutely clueless as to the meaning of.

FOAD, JW retard.

Reply to
WoolyBully

IF you are "at the hospital", you have no business wasting your (pathetic) time in Usenet. And particularly not making pathetic 'one-liner' cracks.

So, you are either a liar or a putz or both.

So, since "my wish" is for a cleaner gene pool, I have no feelings about your circumstance.

If your genes were up to snuff, you would be finding something more productive to occupy your time with... so...

Reply to
WoolyBully

sony is just about to bring out a tablet with windows 8 on it.

Reply to
F Murtz

I wonder if Windows 8 for ARM is the same as Windows 8 for X86 or just a rebadged Windows CE like WP7.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Why am I visualizing you taking a swan dive from a third story window onto a wrought-iron fence with 12" spikes?

Reply to
JW

Retarded flashbacks of your past life, f*****ad.

I can't help you with your retarded afflictions, dipshit.

Reply to
WoolyBully

I think your last point nails it. Perhaps an x86 tablet is less than useful, without a real keyboard[*]. That's why the x86 "tablets" are "convertibles" with the display folding back over the keyboard.

[*] Spilled a cup of coffee in this keyboard last night and a few of the keys are less than real. :-( At least the laptop powered back on this morning.
Reply to
krw

I expect that 90+% of the source code between the two is identical.

Microsoft has explicitly stated that they're making no provision for running x86 code via emulation (or whatever) on ARM -- all x86 Windows programs are going to have to be re-compiled, at the least, to run on it.

Reply to
Joel Koltner