Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

On a sunny day (Wed, 07 Mar 2012 00:14:29 +1100) it happened Chris Baird wrote in :

That is bull. Parports were common in those days,

I added some 10 cent parts to make i tsuitable to program PIC18 http://127.0.0.1/panteltje/pic/jppp18/

There are very few PICless people posting here. the small PICs should be programmed in asm (16F84 was very popular). Kids did it all the time.

There are some who cannot program and nveer will learn, those run things like eclipse and java today and are responsible for the slow bloat of the world. They look down on teh littel cute micros. Learn to work with the tools you have, the 8051 was Harvard too, found in almost everything, There was also the 8052 AH BASIC, a 8051 with BASIC in ROM.. Was not a very good basic, but I still have a box with that that I build in the eighties.

You sound like a C++ or java cripple.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Tue, 06 Mar 2012 16:31:55 GMT) it happened Jan Panteltje wrote in :

Or if you are further away:

hehe

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

That is a very interesting link! Now that is something which has a potential educational value.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Nico Coesel

Are you still fixing audio interface transformers and debugging TI's DSP serial port DMA and what-not? Or have you moved on to a different employer by now?

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Umm... haven't tablet PCs (ARM-based Androids and iPads) largely already done this?

I mean, I *think* even the most non-technically-savvy kid today knows that "Android is not the iPad OS is not Windows is not the Mac OS?" :-)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

I hope I didn't accidentally write something helpful and informative here. Maybe I should add a gratuitous insult to fit in with the spirit of the rest of the thread. :-)

Reply to
David Brown

Good link, that has real potential.

One Achilles heel I can see, is the limit of a single number type.

- and a choice of one of Long int OR double

- but given almost 'everyone' now (2012) makes M4's, perhaps a new default number and target for 2012+ eLua could be M4 and Single Precision real ?

I could see no mention of a Debug IDE apart from some command line-terminal stuff ? TP3 set a benchmark decades ago, that systems still struggle to meet. Google reports it was "39,731 bytes, the entire Turbo Pascal 3.02 executable (compiler and IDE)"

Reply to
j.m.granville

The type used for lua (and presumably elua, although I haven't tried it yet) can be fairly easily configured. So you can choose to use 32-bit integers, or single-precision float point if you want.

For standard lua, there are "Power patches", including support for binary literals, and a patch ("lnum") that I believe will allow mixing of number types.

It was a few years ago that I integrated Lua into a project - at the moment I'm just collecting ideas and information. But I think it's a good idea, and worth sharing.

There are a whole range of Lua IDE's, including Eclipse based and gui based, and including debuggers. I don't know how well these work with eLua. But Lua is an interactive language - you can do a great deal by just typing stuff and seeing if it works.

Reply to
David Brown

monkeys

level

the

Software,

just

Useless advertising blurbs

Nothing of interest there, either.

More useless blurbage

"file damaged and could not be repaired"

Don't know what use that is...

Why do I need to know about a memory module?

Nope. Nothing interesting *AT*ALL*.

certainly

I think you're putting words in people's mouths. I don't see anything here worth the hype it's already gotten. I predict a failure. Over-hype often does that.

Reply to
krw

"Fixing"? I never repaired any. ;-)

Yep. Back to real work. Still TI processors (though not the dinky ones), and ADI, and NXP, and Atmel. ;-)

Reply to
krw

I wish someone would do a "NetBook" in the tablet form factor. I'd love to have something like a GalaxyTab to carry around but I can't use an(other) Android gizmo.

Reply to
krw

cost

phone

phone). All

need a net

made by a

times.

needs one.

little over

level.

operating costs

ridiculous.

should be

though.

off

DMX

on

Wrong and wrong. Everybody that i know who does development work (hardware or software) has a complete computer, usually more than one. Since the model B has an Ethernet connection and can have linux all you need to do is ssh to it and there you go. No additional costs. Plus it will do various discrete IO that your laptop cannot do.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

So... how many 10-14 year-olds are allowed to wave a soldering iron near their mother's PC serious-work computer? Amiga computers were also more popular back in my day-- where was the PIC development software for them? I personally had a Commodore64-- its GPIO was 8 bits of TTL. Oh wait, how were you supposed to program the actual code for PICs again? Where's a 14 year-old going to get the money to buy an MSDOS machine?

As the 'hand-held grandkid' comment alluded too, PICs & etc. /weren't/ hacker-kid-friendly unless they lucked-out and found adult assistance.

By themselves? I think not. If you didn't have a nerd Uncle, you were out of luck.

The Raspberry Pi is like 25 years too late for me... If I were 13 today, I'd be salivating at the thought of getting one I can dedicate to learning Python on, costing less than a Nintendo 3DS video game that my fat (10yo..) brother cries for every month. I can learn with it! :D (Just don't let Mum find out it can view pictures and play movies. ;)

--
Chris
Reply to

As an "educationally-motivated effort", wouldn't something like this be better?

I've been drooling over it for a while now, just love that "stop, single step, go" hex keypad functionality and the whole design. Looks like a fun kit to build as well.

--
modrobert
http://www.eurasia.nu/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
modrobert

Nearest thing I have seen to that is the ASUS Transformer quite nice.

    PC Services
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul

How many 10-14 year olds have no computer of their own?

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Nico Coesel

Software,

I am prepared to wait and see. I confess that I had previously thought the under a tenner STM32F4DISCOVERY development board complete with a few LEDs and built in accelerometers was ideal fodder for school labs.

That is a lot for the money and somewhat more geared to tinkering. Although again you could criticise the brochure/datasheet. It is also on back order for mid-March so maybe on the same container shipment.

However, it does show that kit is on offer in this price range.

Weren't you a IBMer? Their salesmen only ever did FUD.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

It opened OK for me. 205 pages of text & graphics.

Michael A. Terrell

And for those that do want a display, the board has an HDMI output - so you plug it into your TV, just like in the good old days of home computers.

Reply to
David Brown

Of course a brighter 13 year old then yourself would just us his/her PC to learn Python on...

Boo

Reply to
Boo