Raspberry Pi

I'm afraid you're all barking up the wrong tree.

Yes, a posting time needs a timezone. Or it is useless. So said RFC1036[0]. The text in the successor RFC5536[1] basically enforces it by quoting RFC5322[2].

Postings here come without, with, in a mess. I am fully aware that trying to get people to swap buggy clients is futile. Perhaps they can be convinced that some config changes in reader view are useful:

Set your clients to References: threading, and move on. It was already suggested upthread.

--

MN-1334-RIPE SA0XLR +46 705 989668 I just had a NOSE JOB!!

[0] This is chapter and verse on correct format, from RFC1036:

2.1.2. Date

The "Date" line (formerly "Posted") is the date that the message was originally posted to the network. Its format must be acceptable both in RFC-822 and to the getdate(3) routine that is provided with the Usenet software. This date remains unchanged as the message is propagated throughout the network. One format that is acceptable to both is:

Wdy, DD Mon YY HH:MM:SS TIMEZONE

Several examples of valid dates appear in the sample message above. Note in particular that ctime(3) format:

Wdy Mon DD HH:MM:SS YYYY

is not acceptable because it is not a valid RFC-822 date. However, since older software still generates this format, news implementations are encouraged to accept this format and translate it into an acceptable format.

There is no hope of having a complete list of timezones. Universal Time (GMT), the North American timezones (PST, PDT, MST, MDT, CST, CDT, EST, EDT) and the +/-hhmm offset specifed in RFC-822 should be supported. It is recommended that times in message headers be transmitted in GMT and displayed in the local time zone.

[1] This is 5536:

Murchison, et al. Standards Track [Page 10] RFC 5536 Netnews Article Format November 2009

3.1.1. Date

The Date header field is the same as that specified in Sections 3.3 and 3.6.1 of [RFC5322], with the added restrictions detailed above in Section 2.2. However, the use of "GMT" as a time zone (part of ), although deprecated, is widespread in Netnews articles today. Therefore, agents MUST accept constructs that use the "GMT" zone.

orig-date = "Date:" SP date-time CRLF

NOTE: This specification does not change [RFC5322], which says that agents MUST NOT generate constructs that include any zone names defined by .

Software that accepts dates with unknown timezones SHOULD treat such timezones as equivalent to "-0000" when comparing dates, as specified in Section 4.3 of [RFC5322].

Also note that these requirements apply wherever is used, including Injection-Date and Expires (Sections 3.2.7 and 3.2.5, respectively).

[2]
Mans Nilsson

Actually it works perfectly, as long as there's a correct time zone supplied in the first place.

Reply to
Roger Bell_West
09-23-18 08:10 Roger Bell_West wrote to Ed Vance about Re: Raspberry Pi Howdy! Roger,

RB> @MSGID: RB> On 2018-09-22, Ed Vance wrote: >It would be nice if usenet converted the Time/Date to UTC/GMT Date/Time >instead of using the persons Local Date/Time. >I guess usnet doesn't do that."

RB> Actually it works perfectly, as long as there's a correct time zone RB> supplied in the first place.

I never have made a connection with Usenet. I post my messages to a BBS with a Offline Reader since I learned how to transfer .QWK Packets sometime around 1994.

Before then I entered my messages manually when I used my Commodore 64 to connect to a BBS.

Someone told me how to use (I think it was) Outlook in Win98SE to Log On a BBS through the internet.

It's been 20 years ago when I tried doing that and can't really remember if the BBS address was NNTP or some other type of internet connection.

I have tried Logging On this BBS with Telnet which to me seemed to work sorta like a Dial-Up connection did but changed my ways to begin using a FTP script to get/put BBS .QWK packet from/to the BBS.

Another message mentioned looking at the .RC file so I looked at MMAIL.RC to see if a entry was in it for Time Zone or Date.

I didn't see mention of it in MMAIL.RC so I read some text files that came in MultiMail 0.49 DOS and saw mention of an Environmental Variable called TZ that could have the entry EST5EDT put in it.

To Me an 'Environmental Variable' is a setting outside of MultiMail, so I looked in XP's Control Panel - System - Advanced - Environmental Variables

to see if a 'TZ' Variable was set but didn't find anything there.

SET didn't show anything about Time or Date either when I went to a CMD Prompt to see what settings it would show.

As I was typ w32tm /tz

Two of the Three lines of Text that came on the screen mentioned 'Eastern' Time Zone.

Could You or another person reading this let me know if I need to put a TZ variable in either MMAIL.RC or the Environmental Variables setting of System -- Advanced in XP's Control Panel. Thanks.

The BBS I use is in the same Time Zone so I might not have to do anything.

Boy!, I had a lot of Head Scratching here tonight and probably caused lots of other folks some Head Scratching too. Sorry about that.

I feel like that Robot on the T.V. show when it says: DOES NOT COMPUTE.

Thanks for reading me blabbering about things I don't know anything about. I can't help anyone with their Raspberry PI so I'll go back into LURKING MODE.

... Have you checked your smoke detector batteries & Fire Ext, LATELY?!

Reply to
Ed Vance

Den 2018-09-23 skrev Ed Vance :

Then the gateway between Fidonet and Usenet is responsible[0]. Apparently that gateway is in +12:00 and either

- does not get any time zone in the Fidonet posting. What can it do? Its local time zone is as good as any, perhaps slightly better (assuming people might use a gateway local to them.)

- does get a time zone in the Fidonet posting, which is replaces with its own. This is room for improvement.

Which is it?

--

MN-1334-RIPE           SA0XLR            +46 705 989668
I had pancake makeup for brunch!

[0] your headers:

	From: no0spam.Ed.Vance@f1.n770.z5343.fidonet.org (Ed Vance)
	Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi