Pi 4B problem

RK> It’s more complicated than that. A physical page can be marked garbage RK> when the corresponding logical page is overwritten. But a logical page RK> that a filesystem stops using without overwriting (e.g. when deleting a RK> file) still appears to be in use to the controller, at until such as RK> time as the filesystem uses it for something else. fstrim or the discard RK> option supply the missing information.

You're correct, sir. It is definitely more complicated than my simplified explanation. Hence why I simplified it.

But you make a good point! I normally add 'discard' on any SSD in my fstab, on a PC. So much so, that I didn't even think about that. I need to check my own Pi to see if I'm using that on its SSD...

Vincent, if you didn't know: /etc/fstab is where (Debian) Linux stores its info about storage space. Literally, 'File System TABlature'. This applies to Ubuntu, and PiOS too. There's a whole bunch of stuff you should know before attempting to edit /etc/fstab though. One can easily brick a system with a typo in that file.

However, none of this information will help get Ubuntu to work with a Pi...Richard...

(o_O)

McDoob SysOp, PiBBS pibbs.sytes.net

Reply to
Shaun Buzza

VC> Can you provide the o/p from a cat /etc/fstab where you are using the VC> discard sub command. VC> VC> Thanks,

I'll send you the fstab from my laptop in netmail. It's running Linux Mint, another Debian-based OS. Give me a bit to get around to that...

VC> That said I have not found a reason why running sudo fstrim -av does not VC> pick up that a SSD is present. VC> VC> I have been using SSD's for some years and after trying Crucial branded VC> versions that cause serious problems switched (having had advise from VC> Linux users) to Samsung 850/950/960 series over the years. VC> These unlike Crucial use a fair better device controller that processes VC> garbage VC> collections within the controller without requiring the system being VC> idle for long periods. A totally better class of SSD.

Oh, I agree with you there! Samsung SSDs in general are better performers that most of the competition. There's a reason they can get away with charging a premium.

VC> I do know (but not why) that if I download a large number of files to a VC> HDD mounted as /mnt/disk1 where the SSD is at / that for some reason the VC> system stores the data on a SSD before moving it to the HDD.

Sounds like your OS is cacheing the data before sending it to the HDD. I'm not sure why it would do so by default, though. Perhaps through SWAP? Are you copying more data than would fit in RAM?

VC> These are loaded via a large USB stick directly on the box. VC> VC> Again nothing here explains why running fstrim on the Pi does not result VC> in the VC> expected display from the program unless it is just NOT finding the SSD VC> so the question arises as to what is different with a SSD as a M.2 2280 VC> mount ?

It could be that the Pi is mistaking it for a USB stick? After all, you're not actually using SATA or PCI-Ex to connect.

VC> I should point out that I have been in IT since 1963 [...]

I certainly haven't been working with computers for as long as you have. Heck, even my dad would only have been...six? eight?...in '63! (^_^)

But I've been a 'computer guy' my entire life. I put my entire academic effort into learning anything I could about them. I even owned a 'boutique' computer shop for a while. I was never much for datacenter work, though.

McDoob SysOp, PiBBS pibbs.sytes.net

Reply to
Shaun Buzza

Hello Shaun!

Monday February 28 2022 19:28, you wrote to Richard Kettlewell:

Can you provide the o/p from a cat /etc/fstab where you are using the discard sub command.

Thanks,

That said I have not found a reason why running sudo fstrim -av does not pick up that a SSD is present.

I have been using SSD's for some years and after trying Crucial branded versions that cause serious problems switched (having had advise from Linux users) to Samsung 850/950/960 series over the years. These unlike Crucial use a fair better device controller that processes garbage collections within the controller without requiring the system being idle for long periods. A totally better class of SSD.

That is not to say I have not had snags with them but always not running fstrim often enough when there has been a lot of files being stored on them during the day. Remember it is not just the initial storing of files but also any files that are updated where the current clusters are replaced with new one's and that of course includes coping data from one location to another. I was about to including moving them but technically that should not affect anything as the file details are not changed only the location holding the file record although that does change one cluster.

I do know (but not why) that if I download a large number of files to a HDD mounted as /mnt/disk1 where the SSD is at / that for some reason the system stores the data on a SSD before moving it to the HDD.

That one has got me beat as to the reason why. Needless to say running fstrim twice a day resolves the problem providing I keep below 1 Tb of loaded files at any one time.

These are loaded via a large USB stick directly on the box.

Again nothing here explains why running fstrim on the Pi does not result in the expected display from the program unless it is just NOT finding the SSD so the question arises as to what is different with a SSD as a M.2 2280 mount ?

I should point out that I have been in IT since 1963 with M/F's, mini's, etc., and in micros since 1974/5 and building micro based systems since 1976 and with Linux since 1997 (*nix systems the late 70's) or so since giving up on OS/2 when IBM did, having replaced it with Linux for running my server platforms that also run a BBS among other services 24/7.

My wife's and the various laptop devices around the house, I stick to Windows

10 and 11 but there again if they fail it is not difficult to fix one way or another, but I do not use in un-secure environments even when taking one on holiday / vacation etc to act as a back up system for my photography using large cameras althoug I might, just might check on my house system using a hotels wi-fi services having switched the laptop to very high security if not already so set up.

Vincent

Reply to
Vincent Coen

Hello A!

Tuesday March 01 2022 18:36, you wrote to me:

The first test failed as I only have via df :

/dev/root / /dev/sda1 /boot

Yes there are lines between these two.

I left a message about it on the website.

May be buying a Argon one M.2 case was a mistake but I could not work out what was needed with a geekworm solution case and SSD board wise.

Vincent

Reply to
Vincent Coen

Hello Shaun!

Tuesday March 01 2022 15:58, you wrote to me:

VC>> Can you provide the o/p from a cat /etc/fstab where you are using VC>> the discard sub command. VC>>

VC>> Thanks,

VC>> That said I have not found a reason why running sudo fstrim -av VC>> does not pick up that a SSD is present. VC>>

VC>> I have been using SSD's for some years and after trying Crucial VC>> branded versions that cause serious problems switched (having had VC>> advise from Linux users) to Samsung 850/950/960 series over the VC>> years. These unlike Crucial use a fair better device controller VC>> that processes garbage collections within the controller without VC>> requiring the system being idle for long periods. A totally VC>> better class of SSD.

VC>> I do know (but not why) that if I download a large number of VC>> files to a HDD mounted as /mnt/disk1 where the SSD is at / that VC>> for some reason the system stores the data on a SSD before moving VC>> it to the HDD.

VC>> These are loaded via a large USB stick directly on the box. VC>>

VC>> Again nothing here explains why running fstrim on the Pi does not VC>> result in the expected display from the program unless it is just VC>> NOT finding the SSD so the question arises as to what is VC>> different with a SSD as a M.2 2280 mount ?

VC>> I should point out that I have been in IT since 1963 [...]

From around 1976 I was running a company inporting and distributing micro Books, Magazines and software running on CPM, MPM, Cromix (*nix) for Cromemco's and some hardware. This was mostly imported from the US which I feighted over by air after a cargo consolidation each month (normally) any ways around 1978 business man starting up a shop called The Byte Shop asked me to run it for him and I agreed after he accepted that it would buy from my company products that I sold and distributed at a 40% discount assuming prompt payments and I would get a basic salary of around 5k but be on a 20% bonus for every item sold.

Good deal as it gave me around a 40% total commission on item I imported and sold in the shop and to give you a wee hint - We were opened Monday through Saturday but were so busy I never had the time to do the paper work in full.

So I would go in Sunday morning around 08:00 or so most often or not moving the paper work etc into the shop desk to wrok on it all. Wee I started to people knocking on the door to be let in so in the end I just opened up once I got a coffee. Now one of the products sold was a Commodore Pet and the first one was a one piece unit with screen and keyboard and during the week would sell at a guess around 100 or more.

Once I opened on a Sunday I sold anywhere from 50 to 100+ between opening time and 13:00 when I closed the door to do the paper work which was increased with the sales - OTher products was also sold during this time frame including magazines, books games etc.

I made more money in bonuses / commission etc that the rest of the week - it was slightly embarrassing - OK, only a little but after a year or so the owner wanted me to quit and as my company was getting busy i.e, turnover well over

1M I left. Money want towards my commercial pilots licences and aircraft hire both singles and twins etc with lots of change.

Within one year the Byte shop opened 3 - 4 outlets but with in 3 or so they all folded and a few more years so did my company - too much competition for the bread and butter trade. Needless to say within a month of us shutting down the competition folder - so I might have been able to continue but it was too late by then. I have cut a long story short here .

During all this time period I was still doing mainframe and micro programming and system design etc just to keep the wolf from the door and keep in current practice - bit like flying really but made up for it when it all closed down by doing well over 500 hours per year - well over as was doing some 500+ hours just for my private flying let alone the flight instructing and commercial work on a wide range of a/c from singles, twin, heavies with the occasional military flight, etc.

I wonder now, how I found the time :)

Vincent

Reply to
Vincent Coen

A. Dumas

Hello A!

Wednesday March 02 2022 07:32, you wrote to me:

Following that post and rebooting has fixed it, many thanks. This was using a Argon one M.2 pi 4B case with a WD 240 GB SSD with a M.2 interface that is NON NVME but a M.2 Key B (Sata ?), so nowhere as fast as MVME.

I have NOT enabled a weekly auto run of fstrim and will run it as and when, as currently I only have the box running some times, but as I want to install :

gnucobol compiler mbse Bulletin board system as a back up system running two special program/s that will mean it will be on 24/7 connected to the intenet via a firewall port forwarding link.

After that#s up and running I will do a weekly fstrim as file creation should be fairly low allowing for system updates etc.

Thanks again for the help, that's one less problem to deal with. Now to find out why I am getting 'can't find libraries' message when building the compiler..

Vincent

Reply to
Vincent Coen

I don't know what "first test" you're talking about. Those mounting points look normal. Maybe this more recent version is easier to follow for you:

A. Dumas