Raspbarry Question

I am new to Linux and as well my Pi...

I strugle with most overy aspect, learning curve is massive to me.

Having said that, I'm a SysOp and have installed MysticBBS on my Pi.. it's been working great... Anyway, I followed some instructions on getting a remote desktop to work. Installed the required files on my pi and use the app that comes with Windows 10 to access it... here is my issue...

I call and access my pi and I do not see the current desktop. I see a fresh one, or one where my terminal window with my BBS is running in it, is not there.

From what I can tell, or how I can explain it, it's like I get my own dessktop when I access my pi with the remote desktop app.

I think I answered my own question... I may unplug the monitor and keyboard I have pluggen into the pi and use the remote desktop only to access the pi and then I'll be able to access pi and as well the desktop I want to access.

If you have any information that will help me better understand this would be nice.

Thanx

IB JOE AKA Joe Schweier SysOp of Joe's Computer & BBS Telnet: joesbbs.com

Reply to
IB JOE

Pe> >From what I can tell, or how I can explain it, it's like I get my own Pe> >dessktop when I access my pi with the remote desktop app. Pe> > Pe> >I think I answered my own question... I may unplug the monitor and keyboa Pe> >have pluggen into the pi and use the remote desktop only to access the pi Pe> >then I'll be able to access pi and as well the desktop I want to access. Pe> > Pe> >If you have any information that will help me better understand this woul Pe> >nice. Pe> > Pe> I'm probably waving my hands in the air a bit, here, as I don't use Pe> Windows, but as no-one else has replied yet... Pe> Pe> I'd guess your assumption is correct: when you connect from your Pe> Windows machine you just get a new desktop. The old one is only linked Pe> to the Pi's own monitor and K/B. When I connect remotely I normally Pe> just do it via (text) Terminal, but on the occasion when I invoke a Pe> remote desktop from another Linux, that's what happens. Pe> Pe> The problem with your solution is that you get that new desktop every Pe> time you connect. So if you set up your BBS or whatever remotely Pe> and then disconnected, it would be inaccessible the next time you Pe> connected. Pe> Pe> There is quite likely a way around the problem, but without knowing Pe> the software I can't suggest much. Maybe you can run the app in the Pe> background, and re-access it somehow each time you connect. Pe> Pe> -- Pete --

Okay, the software for the remote desktop... no clue... just searched it on youtube and it gave me 3-4 commands to run, to install whatever, and the remote desktop app to login came with windows 10.

I wasn't really wanting to play "chatroulette" with my desktop, so I'll just leave the monitor and keyboard attached to the box.

Thanx

IB JOE AKA Joe Schweier SysOp of Joe's Computer & BBS Telnet: joesbbs.com

Reply to
IB JOE

I'm probably waving my hands in the air a bit, here, as I don't use Windows, but as no-one else has replied yet...

I'd guess your assumption is correct: when you connect from your Windows machine you just get a new desktop. The old one is only linked to the Pi's own monitor and K/B. When I connect remotely I normally just do it via (text) Terminal, but on the occasion when I invoke a remote desktop from another Linux, that's what happens.

The problem with your solution is that you get that new desktop every time you connect. So if you set up your BBS or whatever remotely and then disconnected, it would be inaccessible the next time you connected.

There is quite likely a way around the problem, but without knowing the software I can't suggest much. Maybe you can run the app in the background, and re-access it somehow each time you connect.

-- Pete --

Reply to
Pete

If you're happy with a command line and file transfer, install PuTTY on your Windows box. That gives you SSH terminal access to the RPi command line as well as SCP file transfers, both using the RPI's sshd server, which is installed by default.

For graphical file transfers, look for a Windows FTP client. An increasing number of these can handle SFTP connections, which is cool because the RPI sshd server supports SFTP as well as SCP and SSH.

Understandable.

If you prefer a graphical desktop, you may want to look at VNC. Running a VNC server on the RPi will let you use the web browser on your Windows box to access an RPi desktop. This is NOT the same as the default desktop, but is quite usable. Its look and feel depends on which VNC server you use, but its easy to check several out and pick the one you prefer, as they run as a user process in your RPi login.

This is normal for Linux: you're not stuck with one desktop, file manger, browser etc: there are usually several to try out before picking the one you prefer.

Assuming from that that you're familiar with the Windows console and command line, and possibly with PowerShell, you may find a copy of "Linux in a Nutshell" is worth having. It assumes familiarity with driving systems from the command line and covers the Linux command shells, sh and bash, as well as the common utility command set.

You should also find out about the manpage system (an online manual page for every command: "man cp" tells you about the cp (file copy) command) and 'apropos', used for finding manpages for commands whose one line synopsis contains your search term.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

I guess you probably mean RDP, but it generally helps to be specific about what you installed, what application you used, etc.

That?s the default behavior. It?s possible to use x11vnc to access the main display but it?d probably need some additional setup.

That?s the strategy I use (not with a Pi but the software is all the same).

--
https://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/
Reply to

Been there, experienced it.

Been there, Opus myself, started running it on a x286.

But, I have no Windows computers left. I've installed OpenSUSE on all of them. Having said that...I use tightvncserver on the raspberries and the tightvnc viewer from my linux machines. There was detailed information about this in the booklet I got, walked me right through the process. It drops me right into the current desktop on the raspberries. If I don't need a fullblown xsystem look, I use ssh (which is most of the time). The raspberries are all running headless. So I'd look into finding a vnc viewer package for Windows.

Reply to
Sidney_Kotic

On 09/22/17, Sidney_Kotic said the following... Si> Si> Been there, Opus myself, started running it on a x286. Si> Si> But, I have no Windows computers left. I've installed OpenSUSE on all Si> of them. Having said that...I use tightvncserver on the raspberries and Si> the tightvnc viewer from my linux machines. There was detailed Si> information about this in the Si> booklet I got, walked me right through the process. It drops me right Si> into the current desktop on the raspberries. If I don't need a Si> fullblown xsystem look, I Si> use ssh (which is most of the time). The raspberries are all running Si> headless. So I'd look into finding a vnc viewer package for Windows. Si>

I am using tightvncserver, recall that word from the install process. Anyway, I am still new to Linuxso there is a long road ahead of me.

I'm not stong enough with my command line skills yet.

I was just use to what I was/am. I'll just have to muddle though this..

:)

IB JOE AKA Joe Schweier SysOp of Joe's Computer & BBS Telnet: joesbbs.com

Reply to
IB JOE

What were the commands?

--
https://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/
Reply to
Richard Kettlewell

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 21:43:44 -0000 (UTC), Martin Gregorie declaimed the following:

If one is lazy, there is the FireFTP add-on for Firefox -- I just checked and it looks like SFTP is a supported connection method.

Dennis Lee Bieber

The easiest way is to install x11vnc and xrdp. You can then easily set it up to connect to the current linux desktop session from any RDP client running on Windows, Linux (or even RISC OS).

---druck

Reply to
druck

Hello David,

What do I have to install on the 2017 Raspbian Linux Pi 3B?, and what do I have to install on my RISC OS machines?

On my Kinetic SA RiscPC I am still running !ANT's !InetSuite. But I also have installed there !FTPc. Normally I run the Pi 3B at the DVI-D input of the ACER AL712 monitor, on witch the (other) VGA input is showing my Kinetic SA RPC. Now I have to change display to see the other system. I never made a SSH connection between RiscPC and Pi 3B. If necessarry I have PUTTY on a 2003 Win2K laptop for testing. On that machine I am running Virtual Acorn RiscPC at computerclubs. Thank you for suggestions. Henri.

PS. We met each other in Wakefield.uk at the WROCC show many years ago.

Reply to
Henri Derksen

Nothing, it already has RealVNC pre-installed, you need to enable it via raspi-config:

etc.

NB: normally you won't need a "RealVNC account" although I'm sure they do like to have your info.. You do need their free VNC Viewer to connect to your RPi from the other computer, available for lots of platforms.

Reply to
A. Dumas

Or any of the other implementations of VNC client software - it's an open standard, so you're not stuck with just one vendor.

Reply to
Roger Bell_West

[Snip] >

I wouldn't recommend using VNC or RDP from the Risc PC, it's a bit slow and limited in screen resolution, even on the Iyonix its that fast. You'll find switching monitor inputs is a lot better when doing anything on the Linux desktop.

If you only want a linux text terminal, then you can use !Nettle and the ssh utility (not NettleSSH as that uses an older SSH protocol which is not supported on Linux without reconfiguring reduced security).

Putty will do the job for a text terminal.

Those were the days...

---druck

Reply to
druck

Yes. However there some connection-type advantages, or so the marketing led me to believe. As their viewer is (also) free, I haven't bothered to check others.

Reply to
A. Dumas

if you install xming as well then putty can support X-forwarding & enable graphical applications to run, tunnelling their display to your local PC.

If your local machine is also Linux then this is all native to SSH anyway :-)

--
Never argue with a fool -- people might not be able to tell the
difference.

The latest version of Nettle (v0.2043b - 11 April 2010) does ssh2 and connects to modern Linux systems fine. Available from here:

Annoyingly the documentation has not been updated to mention this :-(

Bryan.

--
RISC OS User Group Of London  -  http://www.rougol.jellybaby.net/
RISC OS London Show           -  http://www.riscoslondonshow.co.uk/

Having just checked them, I suggest using the second of those links as it is a more recent build using up to date libraries.

Bryan.

--
RISC OS User Group Of London  -  http://www.rougol.jellybaby.net/
RISC OS London Show           -  http://www.riscoslondonshow.co.uk/
Reply to
Bryan Hogan

I would simply recommend installing Cygwin on the windows box, and using the command line from within Cygwin to transfer files via "whatever" (scp being my favorite). Not only would you get more familiar with the Linux command line, but you'd probably find it's easier overall.

and you could make a shell script to do frequent things more easily.

and you could set up certificate based security so you don't have to type in a password

etc.

--
your story is so touching, but it sounds just like a lie
"Straighten up and fly right"

tightvnc has a windows version

some web page said their archive still had stuff that would run on old '95 machines even...

Reply to
Big Bad Bob