[snip]

From: snipped-for-privacy@f100.n70.z3.binkp.net (Paul Hayton) Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi Subject: Re: Raspberry Pi Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2018 14:18:45 +1200

[snip]

Best, Paul

Reply to
Paul Hayton

Problem is the software somehow combines the local time of the client with the timezone of the server. Either it should just pass the timezone of the client, or if that info is not available (d'oh!) it should just attach its own local time + timezone to the post. Or what Mike said, but that would leave it in the hands of individual clients.

Reply to
A. Dumas

Ouch!

--
 * SLMR 2.1a * A momentary lapse of reason that binds a life to a life..
Reply to

Yes. Client = bbs poster, server = gateway (then some usenet news server = another server).

No, your server/gateway adds its own timezone (without time) to the client's time (without timezone). That's the whole problem! What I suggested: use both time and timezone of the gateway when relaying a message. So, bin the date/time header the client sent you and simply replace it with date/time/timezone of the server (your gateway) from the moment you're processing the message.

Reply to
A. Dumas

That assumption is not entirely true. Even back in the "time of the dinosaurs," folks who bridged Usenet were usually sharing ("echoing") the newsgroups to other boards, which could be in different time zones and even different continents.

Not much different than now.

My guess is that they probably had a work-around figured out that was not documented well enough to be found on the Internet today.

--
 * SLMR 2.1a * Come in here, dear boy, have a cigar, you're gonna go far
Reply to

On 09/20/18, Mike Powell pondered and said... MP> Actually, it is difficult here in the US. Some spoiled idiot MP> professional sports person apparently threw a bowl of soup at one of his MP> coaches. Typing 'soupgate' into google will get you nothing but

Bummer, will netmail you now.

Reply to
Paul Hayton

On 09/21/18, A. Dumas pondered and said... AD> > He has it set to his local time zone. What other time zone should it be AD> > to? AD> AD> Problem is the software somehow combines the local time of the client AD> with the timezone of the server. Either it should just pass the timezone AD> of the client, or if that info is not available (d'oh!) it should just

By client do you mean the original message being posted and then gated by the software were discussing? Right? Just checking.

AD> of the client, or if that info is not available (d'oh!) it should just AD> attach its own local time + timezone to the post. Or what Mike said, but

..and this is what it was doing.. the local time is here +1200 UTC or +1200 GMT (same thing I know) and when we move to daylight saving in a few weeks it becomes +1300

Reply to
Paul Hayton

On 09/20/18, Al pondered and said... Al> My Synchronet BBS says this message time is UTC+12. Written 46 minutes Al> ago apparently. So it looks good here. Al> Al> Hopefully your changes will work for those using usenet apps.. :)

Thanks Al :)

Reply to
Paul Hayton

That time zone which his system claims to use, i.e. +12, not the one it really uses locally.

--

/ \  Mail | -- No unannounced, large, binary attachments, please! --
Reply to

Yup.

Other posting methods include that.

The Natural Philosopher

No, that's NOT what I said. It must be New Zealand(?) time plus that gateway time zone together to yield the correct time when converted to anywhere.

It's very simple: If you claim to be in one time zone then you have to use the corresponding local time for that zone you're claim to be in. Whether that claim is true or not is irrelevant.

--

/ \  Mail | -- No unannounced, large, binary attachments, please! --
Reply to
Axel Berger

And if you don't claim to be in a time zone at all, the Date: header is both meaningless and invalid.

The simplest option would be to strip the time of posting from the message and substitute your own current time (with zone).

Reply to
Roger Bell_West

No. Without the timezone it is invalid and meaningless. Your date header in the post I'm replying to here says: "Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2018 21:26:25" which is still in the future in my timezone. So it gets sorted wrongly. When using references headers (which apparently are not always reliable either in your gateway because I see a couple of orphaned replies from you) the whole thread gets sorted upfront because one of the replies is supposedly newer than anything else.

Reply to
A. Dumas

That's what I suggested upthread but I don't think he understood.

Reply to
A. Dumas

On 09/22/18, Axel Berger pondered and said... AB> > as I agree local time + timezone of the gateway AB> AB> No, that's NOT what I said. It must be New Zealand(?) time plus that AB> gateway time zone together to yield the correct time when converted to AB> anywhere.

OK and what I am trying to explain to you is that what you say it should be is what it was doing. Posting messages into Usenet from New Zealand showing New Zealand time and the correct +1200 timezone. That's the position we started from when this thread kicked off.

Now other BBS around the globe use this gateway. They post from all sorts of timezones but when their message lands here in New Zealand (often within 1-2 minutes of when they post it because most BBS traffic is carried over TCP/IP these days using BinkP and not POTS dial-up as in the 1990s) the gateway posts their message and uses a Date: entry that is the local time in New Zealand and the timezone (+1200)

I am going to restore the +1200 timezone info now to this and subsequent post as it's clear to me it should be there and should not have been removed.

Best, Paul

Reply to
Paul Hayton

On 09/22/18, A. Dumas pondered and said... AD> No. Without the timezone it is invalid and meaningless. Your date header

I agree. I have restored the +1200 which is where we started from.

Reply to
Paul Hayton

On 09/21/18, A. Dumas pondered and said... AD> No, your server/gateway adds its own timezone (without time) to the AD> client's time (without timezone). That's the whole problem! What I

I'm not sure this is correct.

AD> message. So, bin the date/time header the client sent you and simply AD> replace it with date/time/timezone of the server (your gateway) from the AD> moment you're processing the message.

I think this is/was what the software was doing before I removed the (correct)

+1200 (UTC/GMT) timezone info from it in recent days. I'll need to do some tests to confirm / deny.
Reply to
Paul Hayton

On 09/21/18, Axel Berger pondered and said... AB> Mike Powell wrote: AB> > What other time zone should it be set to? AB> AB> That time zone which his system claims to use, i.e. +12, not the one it AB> really uses locally.

Sigh it was posting +1200 and a group of folks here suggested to me it was incorrect. or at least that was my take on it, so I removed it. Happy to restore it, as I agree local time + timezone of the gateway is the way I thought it should be.

Posting this around 9.18pm local time on Saturday here

Reply to
Paul Hayton

SoupGate-Win32 v1.05 Sat 22-Sep-2018 21:18:05 Exporting from ?UT/?LO to Soup Exporting Type 2+ packet from 3:770/1 to 3:770/3

-> 1 messages exported mail: 0 news: 1

thereafter less than one minute later I checked Google Groups comp.sys.raspberry-pi and looked at the Date: field to see what was recorded from the post sent from news.bbs.nz

Here are the post with headers

[snip]

From: snipped-for-privacy@f100.n70.z3.binkp.net (Paul Hayton) Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi Subject: Re: Raspberry Pi Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2018 21:18:00 Organization: Agency BBS, Dunedin - New Zealand | bbs.nz Message-ID: References: Mime-Version: 1.0 Injection-Info: news.bbs.nz; posting-host="8IWYKlztXHa0+IViEdY46zrq8kpk7dC9fTbT74JiSDQ"; logging-data="5612"; mail-complaints-to=" snipped-for-privacy@news.bbs.nz"

[snip]

The Date: field contains the correct local time when I posted this via the gateway (minus the +1200 it should (I still reckon) be flying too.)

Best, Paul

Reply to
Paul Hayton

No it doesn't. If it did all times would come out reasonable when converted to my middle European time zone. What seens to happen is that the NZ time zone is appended to the local time of some arbitrary *other* place and that combination yields something that's wrong.