New Pi...

Well, not seen any mention of it here yet, so:

and my own take & piccies:

the tl;dr is: Same SoC & Memory, 4 USB, Better power handling, more GPIO (40-pin vs. 26 pin)

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Native SATA would have been nice but that's not possible with the SoC.

--
Dipl.-Inform(FH) Peter Heitzer, peter.heitzer@rz.uni-regensburg.de
HTML mails will be forwarded to /dev/null.

Modmypi.com are reticent about where the B+ is made although they say, loudly, that the standard Model B is UK made. Any idea?

Another Dave

--
Change nospam to gmx in e-mail.
Reply to

This pic shows "Made in the UK" on the PCB.

Hils

UK (ie. Wales by Sony)

Bottom left, read up.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

They really aught to have called it the Pi Master as it's a significant step up from the Model B. From memory there wasn't really much to recommend the BBC B+, indeed, I think it actually had some features missing.

--
W J G
Reply to

I believe you're thinking about the BBC Master Compact, which did have some features missing, although I found it a handy little machine to develop on.

The B+ 64 and B+ 128 were the same as a B with additional ROMs and built-in sideways RAM/shadow video RAM.

Reply to
Dom

The B+ was the Master hardware in the original case, but crucially lacking the updated software of the Master that could make full use of the shadow and sideways ram of the 64K and 128K models.

The 512MB Pi 'B' with just the extra memory should have been the B+, and indeed then the newly launched machine would be a Master, as it will require a new case.

---druck

Reply to
druck

It?s a bit strange ? memory not risen and no shutdown/reboot knob :-/ 4 instead of 2 USB ? although one could have used a powered hub.

B. Alabay

--
http://www.thetrial.de/
???????????????

Memory upgrade is not possible as no one makes larger compatible memory chips.

Shutdown/reboot is dependent on software support, so any GPIO pins could be used for that if you write the code to support it.

Positives are:

Improved power handling (more efficient, better USB power)

Better on-board audio.

More GPIOs

Reply to
Dom

Are there any specifications for the audio? Does it have an approximate equivalent to a known DAC output? Maybe I will be satisfied enough not to bother with a fiberry or similar add on. The extra pins that the addon used don't seem to be there on the the B+ also?

RonM.

Reply to
Ron

More memory (and a faster SOC with newer ARM) would be great, but it's noticeable that even the Chinese can't match the price with their competing designs. It seems that it's currently too much to expect that

desktop that's responsive enough for normal desktop use.

As it stands, the Pi supports the XBMC very well -- and works well as a headless Linux machine with I/O functions that you can connect to a network with cable or wifi.

Reply to
Dave Farrance

The 4 more GPIOs on the Rev 2 are not present on the B+, but their functions are avalable on other pins -ie. the PCM/I2C. So any add-on board that used them on the Rev 2 needs to be re-designed for the new GPIO layout on the B+

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

512MB is all that the chip can address.
Reply to
Gordon

I occasionally wonder why people write subject lines that lose their relevance with time. Have added that the new Pi in this case is the model B+.

The two extra USB ports is a big improvement and, of course, the foundation's stated primary driver for making changes.

I wonder if the old power-input fuse is unchanged. It wasn't mentioned as an alteration but I read somewhere that a beefier PSU should be used with the new Pi. That cannot be for the Pi itself. If the fuse is unchanged presumably the four new USB ports will not be able to provide any more total power than the old two used to. Then, of course, the old PSU rating will be more than enough, given the other changes.

It's good to see the principal connectors move from all four sides to just two sides of the Pi. That will make a wired Pi look less like an octopus. Anyone familiar with the new connector which combines video and improved-quality audio in a 3.5mm jack?

Why rounded corners?

Lower power consumption is very welcome. I wonder if they will retrofit the new power circuit to the Model A where it would make more of a difference.

The better SD slot is a good idea: more robust, more reliable.

Is there a good model B+ case available yet?

One potential downside: I read somewhere that the model B+ cannot be powered via its USB ports. Could a feed from a powered hub to the micro B connector power the Pi? That could be a good alternative solution. AFAICT it might work or not depending on the hub port's rating.

It's amazing that they still make even the Pi available for $35. None of the Pi's so-called competitors seem to be able to come close on price and that's despite the Pi models being made in the UK which is not renowned as the cheapest place to build hardware. The RPF seems to be able to beat prices on alternatives manufacured in the far east.

A while ago we discussed on this group potential improvements to the Pi. IIRC we got big-ticket items like extra USB ports but came nowhere near most of the changes that have been made.

The video to release the new version is notably quaint - no graphics, no music, no studio, no sales pitch and not even a script. Just two people sitting in a sundry office (or possibly a school room based on the papers on the walls) and shooting from the hip. Very British...!

James

Reply to
James Harris

it's probably a 4 conductor socket, presumably the audio contacts are unchanged and the second ring is video

To fit in an Alltoids tin? or Perhaps they want to be sued by apple.

Many usb ports are unfused, so a cheap powered hub or a two-tailed usb cable should work.

they've got a million rabid fans.

better mounting holes, better connector locations, micro-sd,

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

The power input goves via a 2 amp polyfuse and a "perfect diode" circuit to prevent any issues should you manage to connect a 2nd PSU up to it.

So you can feed it with a 2A capable supply and it gets to the USBs. (Well

600mA or 1.2A does)

I'm told it's been used on some mobile phones, etc.

Why not? (I've no idea!)

Plenty - e.g.

It won't power up when presented with power from the USB.

It's not just that price that key (for me and many others at least), but the community and the ultimate aims of the Foundation - there are many more ARM based systems out there - most (now) faster, bigger memory, multi-core, etc. but none have the sheer volume of support and commitment to education.

That's the room they use for the Picademy stuff - or boardroom talks! (I visited them a while back) The wall is covered in drawings, etc. from young kids.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

It doesn't fit in an Alltoids tin...

The USB ports on the Pi are fed via a current limiter - it provides a "sort start" when hot plugging USB peripherals and limits the overall current - 600mA by default which is software switchable to 1.2A - if your PSU can handle it!

If you plug in a powered hub which back-powers the USB, then that power will feed into other USB peripherals.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

The new fuse is marked 203Z, which I assume (I haven't checked the schematics) means 2000mA. A vast improvement, and would make sense as a

2Amp PSU is recommended now.

Supposedly it's compatible with an ipad (or something similar) cable.

The model A+ will be released soon.

Reply to
Dom

No, it can actually address 1GB, but no one makes compatible RAM chips.

Reply to
Dom