Connecting Raspberry Pi to Apple iigs

Hi, I recently purchased a Raspberry Pi model B. I would like to connect this unit to my Apple 2gs (rom 3) and run emulation and communicate from the pi. What cable hardware would I need to accomplish this?. I do have a custom null modem cable and a serial to usb connector, Is this all I need to get it all working or is there something else I would need?. How about software to make the A2gs ad pi communicate? Finally, would a 1gb SD card be suitable to just boot the pi, and communicate with the A2gs? Any help would be appreciated on this. (Sorry if this question has been raised before).

Reply to
Rooted

that sounds sufficient.

terminal software for the apple, and configure a getty to run on the usb serial port. (do this in /etc/inittab) lszrz on the pi for file transfers

generally 2G is the minumum reccomended, using a 2g card it's probably posible to remove packages until it fits on 1GB, but the difference in price is like $1, so why bother.

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to

Hi Jason, thanks for the reply.

Im a whole lot of noob when it comes to Linux and the pi. Could you point me to a link (step by step tutorial) on how to configure the usb serial port you mentioned. Im assuming that with this software configuration all I would do is plug the null modem cable I have to the gs, then plug the serial to usb cable to that and the usb end to the pi? Does it matter which usb port (upper or lower) I use?.

As for the storage i went and purchased a 8gb micro sd that was recommended for use with the pi. Im in the process of hopefully installing a OS on it (finger crossed).

Thanks again for your help.

Reply to
Rooted

Yoy may also want to to look at this:

In summary: this is an Apple II expansion card that mounts the RPi inside the Apple II. Communication is via the serial port on the RPi.

Reply to
Raymond Wiker

I have been playing with a BETA version of the A2Pi for several weeks now and it has been a real learning experience for me (Being a complete Linux NOOB). No serial wires/cables to hook up, just plug in and play. There is also Ivan's A2server and A2cloud :

littlejohn918

Minor nitpick, the package name is lrzsz. If there's a Kermit program for the IIgs you can also use ckermit or gkermit on the Pi.

Reply to
Jon Lane