New Raspberry Pi 4 presented today

New Raspberry Pi 4 quadcore presented today:

USB3, gigabit ethernet, micro HDMI dual display 4K, WiFi, bluetooth H264 and H265 hardware decode, 40 pin GPIO,

1, 2, or 4 GB RAM,. 5V 3 A supply.

Only minus I see is that the power consumption goes up and up with each model, my old 1 core raspi only needs 300 mA :-(

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I noticed the pics don't show a heatsink on the processor, will that have to be an awkward 3rd-party add-on? Maybe a heatsink with a small fan? Is there a fan connector?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

On a sunny day (24 Jun 2019 03:01:11 -0700) it happened Winfield Hill wrote in :

Good question, here they sell a case with build in fan

I take it that it is always on.

so not below zero?

I will likely order one, as the idea of 2 displays seems cool.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Is a cooler mandatory? The GPIO block contains power pins able to theoretically power a fan.

Thank you, 73,

--
Don Kuenz KB7RPU
There was a young lady named Bright Whose speed was far faster than light;

I read that it should work better than the old RP3, but it will lower the speed themself if it run to hot. Of course you can buy a fan, a M.2 adapter and many bells and whistles. But somewhere there is a break even point to a real PC. Anyway, tomorow in China they will start to build all the supplements. :-) However, I think it is better to wait 1-2month before use it because the software is not realy ready. For example I think for a 64bit CPU it should be a 64bit Linux and not a 32Bit.

Olaf

p.s: Thank you for your book. I am a satiesfied buyer of AoL and I am always surprised how easy it is to read if I compare it with German books, even if I have to read it in your language.

Reply to
olaf

Realy? My first thought was, why they waste the space for a second display because 99% of the buyer would prefer a SATA connector instead. What is the application for a second display on a hardware that is a little bit weak in computing performance compared to PC-hardware.

Olaf

Reply to
olaf

Jan Panteltje wrote in news:qeq4ta$ie9$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

It has been beat already. Ras pi is not king, and never was. I will pay extra for better, and I will get better.

Almost any of the other players is better.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On a sunny day (Mon, 24 Jun 2019 16:24:58 +0200) it happened olaf wrote in :

For example in a boat in the cabin near the chart table, and on the outside for the helmsman. And with different data at that, and remote controlled and.. Anyways, I started ordering, the 4G was not available, so OK added the 2G to the basket, also needed special HDMI cables, power supply, SDcard, hit the 100 Euro mark, and then it showed all out of stock! 2 weeks lead time?

There was clearly a run to buy one this morning. I really want the 4G memory version so will try again later.

Even the housing with fan went out of stock in the ten minutes I needed to select things!

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

mandag den 24. juni 2019 kl. 16.31.07 UTC+2 skrev snipped-for-privacy@decadence.org:

yeh only +5x the price ...

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Heads up 3D display using two small LCD monitors? Driving a 3D "fog display"? Picture in Picture display?

Debugging perhaps? Program runs on one display, and debugger/editor/perfmon/etc on the other display? Combine the two HDMI ports to make a single 8K or wider display? Watch two TV programs, or play two games at the same time?

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

tempreature specs are temperature ranges thet thing is guaranteed to work within

Ive seldom found kit that wouldnt work fine below zero.

I did work on an ICE that packed up at 28C air temps. It was specced to 27C.

Mangement installed airconditioning for that, not for us hardware and software boys.

--
?People believe certain stories because everyone important tells them,
and people tell those stories because everyone important believes them.

Paul Krugman
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Seems a bit meh to me, loads of other boards out there now, but what it really needed was a a second ethernet, or means to add one.

A good use for this would be low power firewall, opnsense or similar software, but useless with only a single ethernet...

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Available in August...

Here is a nice little review of the 4B just out today

boB

I have one of these audio samplers/drum machine workstations, the hardware was outsourced and well designed and built, the software was written in-house by newbs and is junk, buggy and unusable:

They sold maybe 10,000 of them before the company folded. No support, no further firmware revisions ever to be available.

I've been thinking about simply disabling the obsolete Motorola Coldfire with Busybox that runs it currently and bolting a RPi in there and connecting all the controls and display up to the RPi, and turning it into something useful.

Most of the controls and DAC pins, etc seem to be brought out to pcb pads or headers and the LCD display is off-the-shelf stock so at least in principle it shouldn't be too hard to give it a new brain. Given how many others must be sitting dusty in closets there might be a small market for the upgrade.

Reply to
bitrex

It seems a more plausible/less frustrating spare time project than trying to reverse engineer the current firmware and fix all the problems.

Reply to
bitrex

Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote in news:1a910b35- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Yeh only ten times better... minimum.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Jeff Liebermann wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The processor barely streams one HDMI feed.

I doubt seriously it would decode two at the same time without stream glitch artifacts. I refer to the ras pi and their new quad core.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Interesting. Does anyone want to speculate on the best way to get high-bandwidth data into the RPi4? Like from a pair of high-speed ADCs like you'd use in an SDR? HDMI supports HEC at 100MBit/sec, but you need software or an FPGA to get it into the right form. The camera interface is probably not suitable either.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Clifford Heath wrote in news:x2hQE.5392$ snipped-for-privacy@fx37.iad:

It puts out to an HEC, but I seriously doubt it takes data in at that rate.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

"Raspberry Pi 4 Model B review: This board really can replace your PC"

Raspberry Pi co-creator Eben Upton told me the dual micro-HDMI ports should be able to support up to two 4K displays at 30Hz or a single 4K display at 60Hz. I also saw the feature working on another board, with the Raspbian desktop being split across two displays and playing back an online video without any issues. I was able to get my Raspberry Pi 4 working with a 2016 Samsung TV at 4K @ 30Hz, which seemed to work fine, although obviously it was slightly less smooth than running the display at 60Hz at 1920 x1080 resolution.