Raspberry Pi 1 to 2

I'm currently using raspberry Pi as my home media centre running OSMC. And I'm going to upgrade to Pi2, but I wonder if it's possible just insert the current SD card in Pi 1 to the new Pi2?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
attend

A bootable Linux HDD will often boot successfully in another PC (at least that worked back before the arrival of UEFI BIOSes - haven't tried it since), so suck it and see. It will either boot or not and is unlikely to damage the SD card either way.

If it fails, after setting up and booting off fresh SD card, you should be able to mount your old one in a USB card reader and copy /home onto your new card.

If you've been careful and put any new programs and associated data into /usr/local/, you can get all that stuff across too by copying /usr/local to the new disk because /usr/local/* is normally an empty directory tree on a freshly installed Linux.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

I don't think so. Although Raspbian detects which processor is being used and loads the appropriate kernel, OSMC seems to require two separate images, one for a model B+ and another for Pi 2.

Another Dave

--
Change nospam to gmx
Reply to

I think the Pi2 takes a smaller card. If your existing card is a microSD in an adapter, it should transfer. If not, you'll need to make a new card.

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan@adamshome.org.uk

Yes...

Providing the card physically fits - ie. it's a micro SD in a full size SD carrier AND it has been updated to a relatively recent version of Raspbian (if that's what's underneath OSMC) It needs the update to fix a few things that are now controlled via the GPIO in the Pi 2 that weren't on the Pi 1.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

On the Raspian if you put a cloned card that has been used in another Pi, (or original) into different PI, it most likely will not recognise your network interface, The MAC address of the PI is fixed in the OS when booted originally.

To correct this, just delete /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

and reboot

It will then pickup the new MAC address and your netowrk should be seen.

Bob L

Cobblers, I regularly move SD cards amongst my Pis; no problem wit networking whether DHCP or static. Furthermore, that file doesn't exist; at least on recent Raspbian.

Please check your facts before posting.

Reply to
Tony van der Hoff

It worked for me using XBMC. I did simply clone the Pi1 SD card onto a Pi2 MicroSD card. However, I had to buy a new MPEG2 license.

YMMV

--
nev
getting the wrong stick end since 1953

It takes very little extra effort to write something like "Actually that's no longer the case" rather than "Cobblers". Please check your attitude before posting.

Reply to
Rob Morley

The OP is running OSMC. The current OSMC installer asks you to choose between Pi 1 and Pi 2 images. It's one of the reasons I've home-brewed a Raspbian installation with Kodi and Tvheadend which IS portable between the two.

Another Dave

--
Change nospam to gmx
Reply to

With Kodi I used a NOOBs image to install a Pi1 and Pi2 image plus a

512MB shared partition, and then linked the user directories to a common location on the shared partition. That way the same configuration is used and updated whichever is running, and it hasn't gone horribly wrong yet. I'm sure you could do the same on with OSMC.

---druck

Reply to
druck

I posted about this issue when I descovered it in April. Since then I always delete the above file if present, and also /lib/udev/write_net_rules

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Reply to