/etc/inittab in Jessie?

I had a note to edit /etc/inittab to allow access to the serial port:

$ sudo nano /etc/inittab (Comment out the line like "2:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyAMA0 115200 vt100" by putting a hash (#) at the start of the line. Note that the line was not 2:23 on my version of Linux, so be sure to look for the actual line with ttyAMA0. It was the last line of the file, as it happens).

but I can't find that file in Jessie. Has it been moved, if so, where, or is this edit no longer needed?

Thanks, David

--
Cheers,
David

iirc Jessie has moved to systemd so may things that were in /etc/init.d will have moved.

Idont know enough about ststemd yet to advise further

--
"A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's printed on."
- Samuel Goldwyn

A. Dumas

Thanks, Mr Dumas. I found that gpsd worked without editing the equivalent of /etc/inittab, but I'll note those references for future use.

It's a pain when things like this change, as I need to update my Web pages!

--
Cheers,
David

Also, it definitely feels like this is more complicated than it should be.

Reply to
A. Dumas

Join the war against systemd!!!

Reply to
Rob

The justifications and objections to Systemd and its protagonists, have consumed a lot of bandwidth in the last few years.

Basically Systemd is written by a self righteous asshole who thinks he and he alone knows how to program a computer. Sadly Redhat hasn't fired him (yet)

Pulse audio is rubbish, and many people switch avahi off.

-- ?it should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism (or environmental activism) is becoming a general ideology about humans, about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and the state, and about the manipulation of people under the guise of a 'noble' idea. It is not an honest pursuit of 'sustainable development,' a matter of elementary environmental protection, or a search for rational mechanisms designed to achieve a healthy environment. Yet things do occur that make you shake your head and remind yourself that you live neither in Joseph Stalin?s Communist era, nor in the Orwellian utopia of 1984.?

Vaclav Klaus

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

ifplugd is also rubbish.

Reply to
Rob

probably. Never had occasion to be aware of it.

But we all agree that Lennart is a lousy programmer with an ego as big as Uranus, and ought to be working for Microsoft.

--
He who shits in the road, will meet flies on his return.

"Mr Natural"
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well, actually, *we* don't. I don't know Poettering and am unable to attest to his arrogance or ego. I have also no negative experience of his programming ability. I do believe there is something of a language problem with his postings.

Red hat seems to be off-topic here; I don't believe any Pi OS is red hat based. Raspbian is a Debian derivative, and the Debian council voted (yeah, albeit by a casting vote) to adopt systemd as the default init system for Jessie. This was after long deliberation and consideration within the Debian project. I reckon that was the correct decision; Sysvinit had certainly reached end-of-life.

Having run Jessie on my desktop for over a year now, and on my Pis for a similar time, I will say that systemd has, in my experience, performed well. I am now getting the hang of the inevitable changes to the init system, and find them logical, and straightforward. It is many years since I struggled with learning sysvinit scripts, and I'm not sure whether I've yet mastered them.

So, the vilification of Poettering continues, and may be justified, but I won't subscribe. I'm sure many of you could have written a superior init system, but have you done so? Isn't it much easier to vilify the author of the present one. So who, exactly, is being arrogant?

Reply to
Tony van der Hoff

Systemd is succeeding despite it being reinventing the wheel, not because of it.

It's made a lot of people unhappy because like much of Lennart's work, it doesn't add anything and it breaks other things.

So who, exactly, is being arrogant?

Lennart is.

he won't listen to valid criticism, and when things go wrong its never his fault (allegedly).

The point is that there was no real need to write a new init system, any more than there was a need to add yet another linux sound system, or yet another hotplug layer. He doesn't add stuff, he replaces it with stuff that breaks what's there already half the time, and at its best is 'no worse' than what was there before.

--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."

There was every need to replace sysVinit, which was creaking at the seams with increasingly large numbers of enigmatic bash scripts. There were candidates other than systemd, but that is what the debian team chose. It works for me.

Reply to
Tony van der Hoff

What he did was basically rip out the function that those scripts had. It would have been easy to just replace all the init.d scripts by a single template that only starts a program and cannot perform auxiliary tasks (like preparing files or devices), and those that are allergic to scripts (typically managers who listen too much to salesmen of clickety-click products) could have it their way.

But no, the whole subsystem was replaced and caused lots of problems that we did not ask for.

Reply to
Rob

He probably is. He is on a mission to destroy the beauty modularity of Linux and turn it into the monolythic mess that Windows is.

Likely the next step is convince the world that there is no point in running Linux, you might as well run Windows and get the same trouble.

Reply to
Rob

It does rather seem that way, doesn't it? :-( I wonder if we'll reach the point where enough people get pissed off with it to /effectively/ develop an alternative. There's always the BSDs.

Reply to
Rob Morley

A code and indeed all history is like that.

At a given point someone gets so pi$$ed off that they redesign something from scratch. E.g. Linus Torvalds.

Then Good Men Saw that it Was Good, and bent their mighty thews to the wheels, and gave it momentum.

Then tossers came along saw a job for life and a bandwagon, and jumped on it...

Eventually it was so heavy it became mired in the bogs of time.

Actually desktop linux is probably at its peak now.

IT just works, all that is left is to indulge in 'creeping featurism' that well known weed so beloved of software engineers with nothing better to do with themselves.

twenty-first century?s developed world went into hysterical panic over a
globally average temperature increase of a few tenths of a degree, and,
on the basis of gross exaggerations of highly uncertain computer
projections combined into implausible chains of inference, proceeded to
contemplate a rollback of the industrial age.

Richard Lindzen
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Damn those feeping creatures.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Like Devuan.

Of course it is always hard to ascertain the longevity of projects like that. I hope they are successful so we have something to migrate to when Wheezy support runs out.

Reply to
Rob

Slackware is (at least for the next version) avoiding systemd, much to the relief of Slackware users. There are some other Linux distros doing this as well, and I've read that you can uninstall it from debian and use something else.

No-one needs to develop an alternative, there are already working alternatives. Also according to what I have read, part of the difficulty with avoiding systemd is how it is tightly integrated with some other components (udev?) which are under Redhat/Poettering control, so systemd-free versions of these components needed something else. This is a note from Slackware current's changelog: Fri Nov 20 05:25:18 UTC 2015 We've made the switch from udev to eudev, and everything seems to be working perfectly. Big thanks to the eudev team for helping us bring Slackware's udev up to date!

On the other hand if you are talking about an OS for the RPi, as opposed to x86-type systems, you may be out of luck.

Cheers. Jim

Reply to
Jim Diamond

+1