Had To Chuckle

I was desoldering some things and once forgot to c*ck the desolder pump.

I thought "I would be in big trouble in the old west with a single action".

Reply to
Jeff Urban

Most times you only need to point it. In fact most times it doesn't even go that far.

Reply to
tabbypurr

It seems during a quick draw gunfight in the middle of Dodge, they never miss, but if it is a gunfight out on the plains where they take time to aim, it takes a full load plus a refill to hit anyone. Mikek

This is where I tell my wife, it's TV.

Reply to
amdx

The expression is: it takes man's weight in bullets to kill him.

The "old West" was rather tame, by modern standards, anyway.

a) About 25% of cowboys were black b) About 40% of cowboys were Mexican c) The remainder were everything-else, including white. d) There were only 14 actual bank robberies in the "Territories" over a 10 year period when most of the "old-west" movies were set. e) There were about 40 shootouts and street duels from about 1865 to about 1910. Not everyone died, either. In contrast, there have been 114 homicides in St. Louis, MO alone in 2019. f) By contrast, there have been over 140,000 deliberate gun-caused injuries in the US in 2019, over 40,000 resulting in a death.

Don't worry about the old west. Worry about the New West.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

Yup, open carry is a great deterrent, but with so many states going the way of NY and CA, it's not surprising there's so many gun deaths in America today.

Cursitor Doom

Horseshit. The only thing open carry is good for is telling others "Shoot me first" or "Free gun, come and take it." Of course, the default setting is "Hey everyone look and see how big my dick is."

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Why do you say that? Because it feels good or do you have facts?

Here's some facts: Colorado has open carry without a permit and shall-issue CCW. 7.6% of the population has CCW, unknown how many open carry - could be anything, but 34% do own guns. The Aurora theater had

400 people in it, on average there would have been 30 with CCW. No one returned fire when a gunman killed 12, injured 58 more, firing 76 shots.

Deterrent?

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Actually, the best invitation of all for any nut-job out there to come and shoot everybody up are these crazy "gun-free zones" you find in basket-case states like Illinois and Maryland - talk about begging for trouble.

Cursitor Doom

I challenge you to back up your statement up with facts. I won't hold my breath waiting for you to find any that back up your statement. Eric

Reply to
etpm

Oh, and I missed out Michigan. How could I have forgotten that?? Must be getting senile.

Cursitor Doom

Very easy for there to be a mismatch, such as old people carry guns while young people go to see batman films ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

My daughter always tells me "never engage crazy." So this will be stupid. But I'll do it once - one and done.

The world is safer now than in the past 10,000 years. There are a lot of reasons for that, I can give you some references if you're interested. Some people here are - the Web in general doesn't contain them.

One of the strongest influences is the confidence that government is in control. (I'm grossly oversimplifying here.)(Read this for a more nuanced take:

The message open carry sends is: the world is dangerous and scary, we can't trust the government, it's everybody for themselves. The more that message is sent, the more dangerous the world does become. Culture always trumps rules and process.

Reply to
Tim R

I noticed that. And I assume you also noticed that TV guns hold about 1.1 million rounds ? That would come in handy for people who can't shoot, but I can.

Reply to
Jeff Urban

0 year period when most of the "old-west" movies were set.

t 1910. Not everyone died, either. In contrast, there have been >114 homici des in St. Louis, MO alone in 2019.

es in the US in 2019, over 40,000 resulting in a death.

I don't know where you got that little compendium but it sounds right. The thing with Mexicans was a totally different planet, people crossed the bord er both ways without even giving it a thought.

That was before we were overpopulated, and don't gimme this shit that we ai n't and look at other countries, this ain't other countries. I want to have

as a crane and floor anchor for car frame straightening, should the need ar ise of course.

You can take your "flat", another word for "projects" and stick them where they are sure not to get a sunburn.

Reply to
Jeff Urban

Sometimes it is "Try it asshole". Try me, I can take out a bird in flight w ith a pistol. Yup. And that was before they fixed my eyes. Well I wore glas ses and it was corrected pretty well but still now that they worked on them I can't believe how great it is to really be able to see. Damn, I use both eyes and the sights are clear and the target is clear. Down the street - w hich eye do you want it in ?

Still I won't carry. Know why ? Many years ago I was the guy everyone calle d to help them move. First of all I was one of only three people who can ba ck up a trailer. Second of all let's put it this way, once I carried a stov e down a whole flight of stairs by myself.

Carry ? The other day I picked up a bag of mortar for the garage, the corne r is like, getting gone. Not sure if something is trying to chew through or what but that is neither here or there. So I PICKED up this bag of mortar. Type S, 80 pounds. PICKED UP. I moved it from the shelf to the cart at the local DIY joint, wheeled it to the checkout, PICKED it up and put it in th e car, then at home PICKED it up ... It took so much out of me I, well...

I know that if you can't handle yourself physically a gun won't do you much good. I still have some moves and sure I can still kill with my hands, but when it comes to wrestling over a firearm that takes strength and I don't have it. The less physically you are able the more odds someone can take th e gun away from you and then you are in worse shape than if you didn't have it at all.

I know you don't think much of me but I am not stupid and I am not irrespon sible. So I don't carry. I WILL, like if I am carrying a shitload of cash o r something very valuable, but not usually.

I might, say if I have to walk to the bank. I usually take out like $400 at a time because I do not feel like keeping going down there. At that point, maybe. But I haven't had to walk down there so...

I just don't have what it takes to be a quasi-cop anymore.

Reply to
Jeff Urban

Here's a fact for you, two actually. ]

One, no executed person has reoffended, ever. Two, if they die on scene during the act it saves us a ton of money.

Enough for me. Cross that line and not be human and then you will be put down like a rabid animal. No remorse.

Reply to
Jeff Urban

I back it up with lead. I think 241 grains ? And they kill. I mean if I hit you in the arm you have a 50/50 chance of dying.

I do not care if they kill a million people a day,. we got enough for almost a whole year. And then when they get to like month eight and we are down to like 80 million people here, the place will be a seriously great place to live.

If it turns out I have to die for the good of society (there are a few people who agree with that statement like 900%) then so be it. Gimme a conmpter to write down my last shit and then shoot.

Reply to
Jeff Urban

young people go to see batman films ...

Strange wording but I think I get what you mean. Just because you can carry doesn't mean you always do. The theater ? It has happened buy rarely. The grocery store, the odds just don't warrant the heightened level of responsi bility and the awareness you must maintain.

Say I want a pound of weed, well that is different. Say I have to go to the east side and make whatever deal, maybe buy a car (truck, f*ck cars) maybe then. See Cleveland is like two cities, east and west. In fact it used to be two cities, they merged a long time ago. But there are still places like that Whites don't go and places Blacks don't go. When you cross that line bring your iron.

Reply to
Jeff Urban

More delusional horseshit. We get it. According to you, you're bigger, badder, faster and have a bigger dick than the rest of us.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

n't trust the government, it's everybody for >themselves.

It is. When I fired a lawyer it was because he told me something. The deal is the thought I was drunk but I wasn't. I was sick and in a shitload of pa in and they took that as stumbling. The lawyer told me if they hadn't buste d me and I went on to hurt myself or others they could be sued. I already k new that wasn't true, and can drag my writ in here proving otherwise, citin g five high court cases, know of them THE supreme court with Antonin Scalia writing the majority opinion.

I got the document on my other PC, a laptop, yik. I doubt I'll ever buy ano ther. I'll drag it in here. It has all the info, case numbers and all that shit.

The bottom line is while you can sue them for things they do, you cannot su e them for things they do not do. They could watch someone blow your head o ff and just drive away and there isn't a damn thing anybody can do about it .

If you doubt, look it up. I did. And I got it from dot govs and dot edus, n ot some Alex Jones type bullshit here.

Reply to
Jeff Urban