Bad inittab entry

Hey everyone

I am making a very small system that fits on a 128MB CF card, and
think I have it in a almost bootable state. This morning was the first
time I tried booting it on the SBC that I am using, and it starts

Bad inittab entry: id:3:initdefault:
Bad inittab entry: rc::bootwait:/sbin/rc boot

I am using busybox if that might have anything to do with it.
Also, I couldnt figure out how to cross compile it, since I dont want to
use uClibc.  When I select cross compilation in the config, it defaults
to uClibc.  I do not know how to compile it for i386, so it is compiled
for 686.  So, i guess the problem could be that they are not compiled
for the right architecture, but i know that some of the other busybox
commands work.  What does someone else think?

I dont know what this means and can't figure it out on google. If
anyone can at least tell me what this means and point me in the right
direction, I would be very grateful

Re: Bad inittab entry
I think this has something to do with the problem as well:

when i do /sbin/rc sysinit in the chroot on my own system:

localhost / # /sbin/rc sysinit
  * ERROR:  runlevel sysinit does not exist; exiting...
localhost / #

/sbin/rc boot and default both do something, but whatever it is it
doesnt work in the chroot and it messes up the Xterm.

BTW this system was based off of a Gentoo stage 1 tarball

Re: Bad inittab entry

 > Bad inittab entry: id:3:initdefault:
 > Bad inittab entry: rc::bootwait:/sbin/rc boot
 >
 > I am using busybox if that might have anything to do with it.

I think that since I am using busybox init I need to have a different
inittab since it works differently.  However, I cant figure out how to
make the inittab that works with busybox init and gentoo's scripts.

Does this sound right?  Does anyone know how to do this?

Re: Bad inittab entry

It might very well be. The init command contained in busybox understands
just a tiny subset of what is possible with the ordinary version.
If you look into the comments of my inittab-file you see, that
"initdefault" and "bootwait" are not in the list of supported actions.
Where did you get your /etc/inittab file from?

Can you just post your /etc/inittab ?

Why not? uclibc allows for pretty small systems. In my case I have only
4Mb of memory and the system fits into just about 2MB. This already
includes a webserver and the ability to communicate via tcp/ip.

In any case you need a properly configured gcc-toolchain with your desired
target compiled in.

    ---<(kaimartin)>--

PS: The /etc/inittab o my SBC looks like this:
--------------------------8<--------------------
# /etc/inittab
#
#
# modifiziert for lara -<(kmk)>-
#
# Note: BusyBox init doesn't support runlevels.  The runlevels field is
# completely ignored by BusyBox init. If you want runlevels, use
# sysvinit.
#
#
# id        == tty to run on, or empty for /dev/console
# runlevels == ignored
# action    == one of sysinit, respawn, askfirst, wait, and once
# process   == program to run

# main rc script
::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rcS

# main setup program
::respawn:-/bin/sh

# convenience shell
#tty2::askfirst:-/bin/sh

# set up stuff for logging
null::sysinit:/bin/dmesg > /dev/tty4
#tty3::respawn:/usr/bin/tail -f /var/log/messages
#tty4::respawn:/usr/bin/tail -f /proc/kmsg

# Stuff to do for the 3-finger salute
::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/reboot

# Stuff to do before rebooting
null::shutdown:/bin/umount -a -r
null::shutdown:/sbin/swapoff -a

--
Kai-Martin Knaak
kmkn@tem-messtechnik.de

Have you tried booting the CF card on a PC?
CF to IDE adaptors are nearly free.

In general, busybox stuff is less tolerant of errors/whitespace
than others.
Have you read the busybox init manpages again?

Site Timeline