Conversion? Gerber to 3D (.sat, .dxf, etc)

I'm curious if anyone out there knows of a method to convert Gerber-x files to some type of 3D CAD format. I prefer .sat, but I can import most common formats. This would be quite helpful for creating photorealistic 3D renderings. I'm using Protel99SE in the event there is some built in method that I haven't found.

I know that one of the versions of Protel (after 99SE) could export 3D models from the board in 3D function, but the rest of the "upgrade" was such a piece of shit that I couldn't bring myself to buy it...

Any ideas?

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Ott

Chris, I've used CircuitWorks with both PADS & ProE, great program & not to expensive - check out the web page below.

regards

Steve in New Zealand

Christ> I'm curious if anyone out there knows of a method to convert Gerber-x files

Reply to
surtees

Chris,

Gerber data is 2-D data. That is, X & Y co-ordinates.

What you are wanting is 3-D. You would need a third dimension (let's call it Z) that is not in the Gerber data.

Regards,

James Jackson Oztronics

Reply to
James Jackson

Looks kind of like what Altium built in the newer versions of Protel. Unfortunately Protel99SE does not offer IDF as an export option.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Ott

Yes, the Z axis would need to be extruded by a nominal distance to show the depth of the copper.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Ott

Chris,

So... all you want to see is the bare board copper, and its' associated height? What about the components on the PCB?

Regards,

James Jackson Oztronics

Reply to
James Jackson

Hi James,

Actually, I have my components modeled up separately.

My primary goal is to get the top silkscreen layer converted to 3D so when I do a wireframe rendering, the silkscreen shows up. I use wireframe renderings with a white background for my data sheets (it gives the look of being pencil drawn). My current method of applying an image of the silkscreen to the surface of the PCB model works nicely for when I want full color renderings with shadows and ray tracing and such. But the surface imagery doesn't show up in wireframe for obvious reasons.

Also, on really high end boards, I sometimes like the top layer traces to show up in the color renderings. It gives more of a photorealistic effect. I currently accomplish this with a surface image as well.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Ott