Sony tube tv going bad?

Hello:

This has not been a good week. Last week something killed my (14yo) gas range. While baking dinner it made a loud snap/crack sound like a light bulb exploded and stopped working. Clocks dead, ignitors for the stovetop and oven won't work. Looks like I'll have to replace it.

Now last night our Sony 30" tube tv (aprox 7-9yo) started to act up. We were watching a dvd when the picture went to black, but the sound was ok. I immediately thought it was a defective DVD but that's not the case. I turned off the dvd player and tried to watch some tv but had picture problems. As I flipped channels the picture would be ok for half a second then go to half brightness, freaky colors and distorted image, then pitch black. The aux inputs Video 1, Video 2, etc. also were effected. Turning the tv off for a minute and then back on fixed it for a while then it happened again. The tv seems to be working ok so far today. So, what do you think? Tuner crapping out or the picture tube going? I thought the Sony Trinitron sets were long lived and pretty much trouble free...

Thanks, Phil

Reply to
Phil

Sorry to read about your loss.

Reply to
Meat Plow

ange.

loded

t work.

ere watching

thought it

and tried to

would be ok

image, then pitch

the tv off for a

tv seems to be

picture tube

trouble free...

Sounds like the circuit that monitors the crt called the IK circuit or something like that is cutting out the video because the circuit thinks the CRT is going out of balance for the 3 guns.

Reply to
hrhofmann

I expect a range -- gas or electric -- to last at least 20 years, maybe 30. This sounds like a power-supply problem that ought to be fixable -- though whether it will be at a "reasonable" price, I don't know.

It /can't/ be the tuner, because the line-level inputs also have a problem. My guess is the chroma chip, or some nearby component.

Sonys do seem to be reliable. My KV-1920 lasted more than 20 years (needing only a $70 power-supply repair), and my current 400-series 36" flat-face is almost 10 years old, with no problems.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

On May 22, 6:35=A0pm, snipped-for-privacy@INVALID.com(Phil) wrote: y. So, what do you think? Tuner crapping out or the picture tube

trouble free...

It's almost certainly not the tube, it's too sudden. I'd be looking on the crt neckboard for cracked solder joints, and check the vicinity of the line stage.

-B

Hi!

Why? A little investigation might reveal something very obvious, especially if it made a loud noise. It could well have *been* a bulb exploding due to age or something else. If it was on at the time, a failing bulb could have blown an internal fuse or popped a circuit breaker.

Don't know what to tell you about the TV, but your range is very likely to be fixable with some basic troubleshooting. It's worth a shot and will cost less than replacment.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh