sony 20 inch tv

hi I have a sony kv20fv12 wega tv about 2-3 years old.

the other night it made a quick small kind of "sizzle" noise. The screen went dark. sound still there.I changed channels thinking it could have been the cable signal. The picture came back for a second, then went dark, did that a couple-few times, same thing. Turned it off for a few hours Turned it back on, all seems ok, good picture and sound,

EXCEPT,

Now when it turns on, sometimes I see what I can only describe as a sort of arc of rainbow colored light across the screen a bit higher than the center,

and then when turing it off,

I see a round blob of rainbow colored light about maybe 3-4 inches in size at the center of the screen which slowly fades away.

I never saw it do either one of those things before it made the quick little sizzle noise and the screen went dark.

But anyway, the question is,

Is the TV set on its way out? Is that the picture tube going bad or something else inside maybe minor and cheap, and is it worth even having it looked at , or should I run it to death, then just throw it away?

I thought sony wega was a really good tv

any opinions helpful

Reply to
John Q Public

You will have to have the set properly checked by a service tech. This can be a fault in the power supply, or the high voltage. It is also possible that there is a protection circuit fault as well. It is not common for a CRT to cause the description that are indicating here.

The tech will take readings and do some basic tests to determine where the failure is. This way he or she can give you a proper estimate to service the set. From this, you will be able to make an intelligent decision if the set is worth servicing or not.

--

JANA _____

Reply to
JANA

it doesn't sound like the picture tube itself, but circuitry associated with the picture tube. Have it checked by a qualified service technician. It sounds almost like somebody wasted some sort of liquid into the set.

Reply to
Comteck