SANYO VWM-900 VCR Audio Fault

When playing tapes recorded in monaural from another VCR, the audio is muddled, highs are clipped, and there is a slow,low level flucuating hiss from the stereo TV speakers. Tapes recorded on *this* VCR in stereo play back OK. I tried turning off stereo in the VCR menu. I tweaked the AC head with slight improvement, but still not satisfactory. These tapes play back OK on another Sanyo Hi-Fi VCR VWM-668. Ideas, besides pitch this $40. VCR? Thanks JR

JR North

I'm not sure about this, but I think there's a possibility that the stereo audio is RF modulated and recorded on the helical scan, along with the video signal. Such tapes would have a separate linear audio track on the edge of the tape for backwards compatability.

If I'm right about this, then it would point to a problem with the mono ACE head, or the circuitry that follows it up to the point where the VCR chooses which signal to use.

-

Jim Adney