SV2000 VCR Noise When Not Playing

I have this SV200 VCR which plays fine but continously gives an intermitten noise signal if nothing is playing (even during forward and reverse). This happens both from audio/video and RF output and there is nothing wrong with the TV. Any leads as to where should I start looking ?

Thanks

Reply to
Indu Prakash

Depends on what kind of noise you mean, but sounds like it could be a power supply problem. You didn't mention what brand name or how old but if it's an older VCR with a linear power supply I'd suspect bad filtering caps.

Reply to
Jumpster Jiver

The model # is SV2000 but there is no brand mentioned. Websearch revealed that this belongs to Orion brand which possibly is a Philips offshoot. The noise is similar to the white noise you would see in TV if there was no signal for the selected channel. If it were a power supply problem then shouldn't the noise happen as well when I'm playing a tape ?

Reply to
Indu Prakash

Hello, Indu! You wrote on Sun, 13 Nov 2005 22:02:44 GMT:

If I understand correctly, the VCR is OK playing tapes but intermittently loses the broadcast signal when not playing a tape. If so, then the previous poster is right I would first suspect the power supply to the tuner. If the noise happens whilst playing a tape, then thats a bit more complicated.

With best regards, 3T39. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
3T39

That's sort of what I was thinking - maybe a ripple in the supply or control voltages to the tuner. The main filter caps would probably affect all functions but maybe it's a ripple on one supply voltage. Or maybe a bad tuner or tuner control circuitry.

Reply to
Jumpster Jiver

Or as simple as a bad solder joint at the tuner module.

Reply to
Ray L. Volts