Crackling Audio from Sony SLV-575 VCR

On my Sony SLV-575, I have just noticed that the audio has a crackling sound through both speakers. When trying to adjust the tracking, it doesn't have the usual range to the left or right before the sound starts to become noisy and where it then switches to the linear tracks -- there is simply no range at all - it immediately gets very much distorted by hitting the tracking button just once or twice.

This happens when playing back tapes recorded on the SLV-575, and from other VCRs. The problem is primarily with the SP setting. EP is ok and has somewhat of a tracking range (not quite as much as another Sony VCR I have). Does anyone have any experience whether this might be a mechanical problem (heads?), or whether something on the audio board has gone south (cap?). Any ideas would be appreciated. -Ken

Reply to
Ken

[...]

Sorry about the multiple post, but my server kept giving me error messages.

Reply to
Ken

Ken: Could be dirty heads, upper and lower drum, guides & posts, capstan & pinch roller, etc. The very first troubleshooting procedure is to perform a thorough and proper cleaning of the VCR including the entire tape path. Improper cleaning can cause expensive damage to your VCR. Go to the website for this newsgroup at

There you will find the proper and safe procedure for VCR cleaning..... and a wealth of other relevant technical and repair information. Beyond a cleaning, there are other things that could cause the symptoms you reported including, worn or faulty heads, in which case, many service shop techs could verify that for you for usually the price of a cleaning.... so TAKE your very nice Sony VCR to a shop, for at the very least, a professional cleaning and/or a repair cost estimate so you can make an intelligent repair decision, if needed, with facts instead of wild Internet guesses. Who knows, it is possible that just a professional cleaning may be all that is required.

-- Best Regards, Daniel Sofie Electronics Supply & Repair

sofie

Thanks Daniel for the feedback and suggestions!

pinch

and

you

Internet