Sony KV2063R TV Problem

I've been searching like mad to get information on my Sony Television - Model KV-2063R. Sony's site comes up pretty much empty on the model alone - it's like it was never made. A label inside the television indicates the chassis number as SCC-A50E-A - Manufactured April, 1989 San Diego.

I require (if at all possible), information on the Bad solder connections (relative to IF and AFC modules - and any others I may not be aware of). Originally had a link for a diagram (and related info) on which joints to check - can no longer find the link. Searches have come up with everything but what I need - including looking over many pages in

Also, needed are schematics for this (and subsequent) chassis in order to upgrade the unit for stereo. All required connections are in place internally but the components required were omitted (obviously) on the mono model(s).

Info may be emailed to me directly: snipped-for-privacy@telus.net

Any help anybody can provide would be appreciated. This is (was) a great TV and hopefully will be again, soon.

Regards, Rob

Reply to
R. Earl

R. Earl wrote:

I've repaired many of these or similar TVs. The IF module is the silver metalcan next to the tuner. Open it up and solder all of the coils and the grounds to the case around the edges. This fixaes 90 % of the tuning problems with this type of set. To find the coils, open both sides of the can, or unsolder the grounds and slide the board out of the can depending on the particular design, and look for the small silver cubes on nthe component side. Never adjust the coils. You will never get them back where they belong without some very specialized equipment that no one really uses anymore.

As far as changing a mono TV to stereo... You would need the schematics of an identical chassis which has been factory built with stereo to compare to the mono set's schematic and make the necessary adjustments. This isn't too easy since it involves changing many parts in the amplifier section. Also many parts must be added, some parts removed, and still other parts such as resistors and diodes may need to be changed to different components altogether. The stereo TV probably uses the same tuner, but may need changes in the IF module too. Also the stereo TV may use a different microprocessor so it knows how to use the stereo components as opposed to the mono set. In addition, if you are adding input/output jacks that are not part of the mono set's original circuit, careful attention must be paid to every component that has to do with isolation of voltages/grounds from the jacks. A missing or incorrect component could cause a shock hazard or risk of damaging your equipment when different units are plugged into each other. To sum it up, anything is possible and it CAN BE DONE. However it is not cost effecive to convert a mono TV to stereo, even when there were mono and stereo versions of the same TV available. As far as safety - one misplaced or forgotten component would probably cause a catastrophic failure of the whole TV. Good luck on the IF module repair. You should have no problem. Mike

Reply to
Jumpster Jiver

I used to do this by using a stereo VCR or cable box for the audio portion, no reason to muck with the TV itself.

Reply to
James Sweet

Reply to
Art