finding the radio power pins

I am trying to find the power pin (Battery +12) and the Ignition pin (12v switched --aka ON when key is turned) on a Subaru Panasonic radio (p421 --must verify model). I don't have wires on the unit but I can make them; the color code would be useless without a plug diagram so I can't use that.

I have not found a site with the diagram on this one as apparently Subaru somehow became Mazda?....

To quote an old message from --sam '96:

"Locate the power - there will be a +12 switched and possibly a +12 unswitched for channel memory. At least one may be obvious if has an in-line fuse. Use an ohmmeter if necessary. Once you have found the power connections, power it from your 12 V power supply. Keep the volume way down and use the balance and fader controls to identify the speaker connections. There will be either 2 pairs of wires or more likely 4 pairs for front and rear speakers."

If I find the power connections I can turn on the unit. The case will likely be a ground (this I assume to be always the case even when the polarity was reversed in older radios -- I digress). How do I trace the power pin. It may be a bit naive of me but am I using the ohmeter to track a resistance setting from the on/off switch? what if the unit is a push button does it apply different? Feedback will be appreciated....

Reply to
netvoy

Hi Netvoy...

Wonder if you opened up the case you might not find color coded wires? (we all know what red is). Or perhaps, given that I'm struggling with a no display Chrysler unit, maybe even be lucky enough to find labels inside? Or silk screening?

Perhaps visually trace the wires, if power is all you really want to be absolutely sure of. Going to a large choke, perhaps a crowbar, some good sized rectifiers, the on/off switch?

Or if you don't mind spending a few dollars, then this might be helpful, particularly if it comes with good documentation.

Good luck, and take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

All three are useful OEM factory car radio wiring web sites. One of those might help.

Reply to
dkuhajda

Thank you for the feedback. I had checked one of the websites before; in fact I've used it quite a bit as this is the sixth stereo I am trying to wire/test this month. So far out of all six radios only one worked. The pin out for the Subaru unit was not in the site. The other two sites listed it but it shows it as a 14pin radio and the unit I have is a 20pin radio; must be a newer model. No luck.

Reply to
netvoy

I've opened quite a few not this one though. I have not seen one ever color coded. Although I have been able to figure out one equalizer this way. I have seen some labels on Toshiba TV electronic boards and maybe even some computers but many many times there are none and of limited use without experience in the particular unit. The idea of opening it up was put aside for I did not need another unit laying around in pieces while I get around to it. When you try to trace you come up across the cassette drive or what have you. I really just want to know the process before I get into the unit so as to minimize the chances of destruction by indiference (because I did not get to it for whatever reason). What is a crowbar? And yes I do mind spending, it may be wasted money if the unit does not work; besides it deviates you from important electronic knowledge.

Reply to
netvoy

Model number would help like CQ-LF? Newer radios are pretty hard to find all the power connections correctly other than battery and then that is sometimes ACC. Jeff

Reply to
frontline

It is a Subaru radio (printed on the left corner as you look at it); a Panasonic radio Model P421 printed on the radio's right hand corner. There are 6 additional pins must be additional auxiliary or remote control functions; I can only assume.

Reply to
netvoy

It is a Subaru radio (printed on the left corner as you look at it); a Panasonic radio Model P421 printed on the radio's right hand corner. There are 6 additional pins must be additional auxiliary or remote control functions; I can only assume.

Reply to
netvoy

Model number will be on the top or the bottom and on rare occasions on the sides or back. The front ID number is not the model although it can be crossed to a model number, it is sometimes wrong. Even the sticker with the model number may be labeled wrong, I need two letters dash two letters then numbers. Jeff

Reply to
frontline

Sorry I could not identify it as it is labeled as a reference number (ref no.) and garbled with a long mix of letters/numbers. If I recall correct it is a CQ-LF. On a related note. I have been looking at some diagrams on radio cabling and there is a pin for Illumination(+) and one for Illumination(-). Are these pins connected to 12v+ and GND respectively?

Reply to
netvoy

Yes ref no is the model and yes ill + and - is power and ground but one may be a varried resistance if there is no seperate dimmer. Jeff

Reply to
frontline