My Sanyo portable model, VCR 7300, needs the loading

My Sanyo portable model, VCR 7300, needs the loading mechanism fixed & the tape head cleaned.

My SonyBETA model 2700-B, needs the tape head cleaned, and the backup program battery replaced, and the video board replaced (my guess). The tapes in the SONY load and play, but only the audio works. The last time I used it, the RCA vidio output went "grainy" and stopped displaying.

Do you repair these units or can you refer me to a company that does?

Thank you.

Reply to
Stephen

Where are you geographically ? You could be in Timbuktu for all we know. Shipping stuff like this is an iffy thing.

Even if you brought it here, getting parts is even worse.

Reply to
jurb6006

FlashNewsgroups posts are a complete waste of time, their users unwittedly tag their innocent ramblings onto the end of dead posts and entirely lose the context (not their fault).

I recommend a global "Thread Ignore" killfile rule for sender *@example.com

And the poster should find a real usenet service

Adrian C
Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

jurb, Adrian:

Why you treating the guy that way? He sounds like he has a legitimate equipment problem.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

-- Thank you "thekmanrocks" for your support.

I spent thousands of dollars on these 2 Beta HiFi VCRs in the early to mid

1980's, as I mentioned in my posted question.

Back then, a US dollar was worth more than it is today.

I also purchased a Sony Model 5200 back then, which I gave to my wife's girlfriend and husband because their unit failed too.

My current goal is transfer the multiple tapes of movies I have in my possession in beta format into DVD, or Blue Ray disks, via my new PC Blue Ray burner drive.

My intent was not to disrupt the delicate sensibilities of the people who use this forum.

Just searching the WWW for any company who could assist me.

Thanks.

Stephen

One of them asked a perfectly good question, to which you still haven't answered.

Reply to
JW

Where are you geographically ? I don't know what that other dude is talking about with this "why are you treating him this way ?". It is a legitimate question.

Let me tell you some true shit. I am in Cleveland, Ohio and I fixed a stere o for a guy in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. It was a kinda heavy bulky thing a nd cost $300 round trip on UPS, AND THEY FUCKED IT UP. And in an insidious way that would be so hard to prove. So he gets ahold of me and we talk, he emails video of what its doing and pictures of a part that fell out and the n we met, pretty much at the state line. Little bar off the pike and can wh et your whistle a bit.

Bottom line, if you want to ship two betamaxes it is not likely to be cheap . And if you need belts, let's just say the days of the five buck belt kits are over.

If the Sanyo has the mech I think it has it will need a super small belt an d probably idler. I would guess they are not that great of a deck, but if t he heads are good they are worth fixing if you can get the parts. And of co urse now there are 3D printers if you peel off enough green. Actually you h ave to glue the thing together and they have to go in a program like Solidw orks or something and fix it. THEN it gets sent to the 3D printer without t he line in it from where the glue was. And you have to learn this software, it doesn't just do it automatically. Friend of mine does something similar and figures he should be able to do it with the software on his PC, which is Rhino, which is supposedly better than Solidworks.

But they got a specific file type for that. I forgot the extension but it i s kinda standardised.

Now, this (SL)2700. That is a hifi deck correct ? By that time I do believe their mech used that much coveted reel motor assembly that allowed them to go into reverse immediately. If your reel drive runs off of your capstan m otor you need a tape slack pickup routine every time the customer pushes re verse search. With a separate rell motor that is not a problem.

Problem is something started happening to those motors and they started pul ling alot of current. And back then $70 for the motor itself, and the is ne t dealer price.

You knew by this one transistor failing time and time again. The only thing you could do now is to modify it to supply the current. But in time, how l ong will the motor take it and how long will the power supply supply it ?

No matter what this is not going to be cheap.

Reply to
jurb6006

gram

time

I fix broadcast VTRs

I fix broadcast VTRs and when I needed a Beta to transfer some old digital audio tapes (using a PCM-701) I bought a 'new' one on eBay which works fine . I found out later my SL-HF900 simply had the tracking control slammed to on e end. ALSO, the 30 year old tapes picked up some moisture ( even in L.A.) and needed to be 'baked' in a food dehydrator.

That Beta (SL-HF-300 IIRC) is sitting near my bench at work. I should put i t on eBay again since it's fine and I don't need it.

Reply to
stratus46

responding to

, Stephen wrote: This will be my last posting on this forum. I'm sure this will make a lot of folks happy.

Thank you "jurb6006", for your follow-up and elaborate detailed response to my inquire.

Also, "jurb6006", congratulations to your Cleveland Cavaliers on winning this year's NBA championship.

Congratulations to your city by hosting the Republican Convention without any major incidents.

Congratulations to your city hosting the Rock n' Roll hall of fame for many years, although I think Jan Warner, owner of Rolling Stone magazine, and other board members, are total pieces of "S***".

Lot's of bands out there that deserve to be in there, who are not.

I'm sure your time is important to you, and again, thank you. Sorry to learn of your experience with UPS and maybe other shippers in the U.S.

My Beta HiFi devices that need(ed) repair:

Sanyo Portable VCR 7300:

Also, an interesting YouTube video as well. This shows the front panel off,to inspect the drum and video head area.

Sony SL-2700B:

(mine has a black exterior, not silver)

My update as of 08/18/2016:

Got both units playing my old beta tapes again. Both units have the front/top covers off, sigh . . .

For the Sony SL-2700B, I now have to push a plastic capstan roller on the left side for it to eject my tapes.

For the Sanyo VCR 7300, I have to push the large white, quarter inch wind and 6 inch diameter plastic ring assembly, under the tape head and motor, counter clockwise with my finger, in order for the tape to load.

Then, to unload the tape, I have to push the same plastic ring counter clockwise, for the mechanism to eject the tape.

Unbelievable!!!

Found a link on YouTube which shows how to clean the Beta tapes heads using printing paper folded (A4 size) and vcr cleaning solution added to the paper. Hold it to the tape drums gently, and spin said drums without damage.

Link:

Background info:

I'm a retired federal government employee, worked in the Intel Community for 36 years. Sure, what a "oxymoron", this term, is these days now.

Love music (own over 1120 CDs and over 700 LPs in my collection), 8 Track tapes, Cassettes, LPs, CDs, Apple downloads, you name it, for over 40 years.

To answer your "burning question", I live in Stone Ridge Virginia, Loudoun County Virginia. Aprox 25 miles west of Washington D.C.

This forum has turned out to be not my only Internet resource.

I now have, in just in the last 2 days, I think, reliable resources to turn to, besides this one.

But now that I have cleaned the Beta tape heads, I will be able to archive my tape collection to DVD and Blue Ray using these devices.

The repairs for these units will take a back seat for now. Once I've converted my tapes, I'm thinking about donating the units to the Smithsonian's Museum.

I received offers of help from the following companies:

And "For God's Sake", I am in no way affiliated with the 2 following companies!!!!

After the fact:

Belmont TV:

ARLINGTON, VIRGINIA

4723 King Street Arlington, VA 22206 In business for decades, since 1948.

I got a return phone call from them that stated they would give it a go for a $50 dollar deposit. The D.C. area has the worst traffic in the country, but I think I can get there and drop off the units within a hour.

This, I'm hoping, would avoid the trials and tribulations of "jurb6006" with shipping.

I also own, a Pioneer AM/FM stereo tuner receiver model SX-1280, from 1977 ($700 plus when purchased), which still works flawlessly. It must weigh 50 lbs. Imagine shipping cost for that kind of repair.

Also, this company, MrBetamax

An email quote from him:

"Sony and Sanyo service manuals specify that their Beta VCRs receive maintenance and reconditioning after every 500 hours of use or every year, which ever comes first. MisterBetamax offers this service for $89.00. Reconditioning includes replacement or restoring of any rubber tires and belts, replacing or resurfacing of the pinch roller and capstan plus cleaning and lubrication of the rotating components. The upper video drum is resurfaced to ensure smooth tape travel, reduce friction and to restore its operational characteristics. All the guides, tension arm and drive reels are cleaned and renewed. The tape path is verified and if alignment is required, it is included with the reconditioning in most cases. An estimate is included should any repairs be needed. You will be contacted by email with a final cost that will include return shipping. All repairs are on approval and usually take about two weeks to complete (not including shipping time and depending on work flow or parts requirements). A

90 day labor warranty covers any service, 60 days for parts. If you decide to declined the estimate then no reconditioning will be performed and only $49.00 will be charged for the estimate. The balance of the $89.00 is used to offset return shipping and any excess is refunded.

To recap: Reconditioning, which includes an estimate, is $89.00 plus return shipping. If repairs are declined only is $49.00 is charged for the estimate, shipping in both cases is additional.

If interested, get back to me and I?ll send along my shipping address, packaging instructions plus some additional helpful information. My Zip is 29365.

Sincerely, MisterBetamax"

God bless this dude!

Finally, last part of my post, and final post.

This might leave you all in a incredulous mind set, or with a good chuckle. Hope so....

All these were installed in my 1981 Honda Accord LX 3 door hatchback (Hempstead Green in color). The vehicle got 30 plus miles to a gallon and was purchased after my first 1977 Honda Accord was demolished by a rear end collision, by a drunk 17 year old female, at the Capitol Center in Landover Maryland (defunct building now, Capitols hockey team and "Bullets" basketball teams played there). I drove there to attend a Outlaws - Foghat concert, with my sister and two of her teenage girlfriends.

Honda photo ->

Not my Honda exactly, owned in Europe, but what I owned also, color and make and year and design.

I still own the Honda with antique licence plates. It has a car cover on it now. Needs carburetor float replaced and possibly a new brake master cylinder.

Car cassette deck, equalizer (20 watts) and rear power amp (60 watts), Alpine brand, top of the line $700 for the cassette, plus a couple of hundred for the other units.

Radio Shack speakers. Six of them (two embedded in the front drive and passenger door panels, and four mounted (had brackets to mount) on a portable platform (wood design, painted black, 4 feet long by 8 inches wide, 1/2 inch depth, fabricated by me) , for safe keeping under the hatchback cover), plus a radio shack hard wired anti theft device, with vibration sensors and plunger switch for the hatch, which would send a pager signal from the car unit, into my bedroom, if someone tried to steal the audio equipment.

This alarm saved my stuff on 2 separate occasions. I had to get a additional door key because the potential thief broke my passenger side door lock with a screw driver.

Speakers:

Car Alarm System:

Nakamichi Dual Amp balancer. To adjust audio playback from the front driver and passenger, to the back hatch back area. Really cool depending on when my front windows were open to prevent noise.

Link:

Also, power conversion adaptor to change car 12 volt power, to DC 12 voltage, Radio Shack. I used it to power my Sanyo Portable Beta HiFi, under the hatch.

Sanyo Beta HiFi VCR with hard wired remote control, to play Audio Beta tapes - Sony L-750 , for up to 4 hours and 30 minutes, in Beta III playback mode.

Almost CD quality audio thru the Alpine car system.

Trips from Northern Virginia to Smithtown, Long Island N.Y, when necessary for weddings etc... and visits to my Grandmother and our Aunts and Uncles.

Later, a Sony original portable CD player:

This was mounted, on the 5 gear stick shifter console, right passenger side, and I used a RCA audio splitter to tap into the front and rear audio amplifiers shared by the Sanyo Beta HiFi VCR.

Anyway, thank you to all who responded. God Bless you!

Reply to
Stephen