RCA VR678HF VCR ticking PS

I have a RCA VR678HF that is totally dead except for a ticking sound. I have fixed two other pieces of equipment that had bad caps and from what I hear that is the problem here. From what I read on this group the C09 cap is the culprit in this case, I see a C809 surface mount cap on the back of the board, is this the 22uF 16Volt non-polar electrolytic cap I am supposed to be replacing? I haven't fixed any surface mount parts yet, but I will try if that is the problem. I checked some of the other caps, the large 100uf 200V cap seems to be bad, and the R817 resistor is bad, from my internet searches the R817 is a "resistor fuse" at 0.87. The transistor seems alright. Any hints or details would be appreciated.

TIA,

-D

Reply to
drognan

D: NO..... C809 is NOT C09. C09 is a small electrolytic on the top side of the board next to the switching transistor.... it is NOT a surface mount cap. More than likely the problem you described is not only C09 but also ALL the other electrolytics are suspect and unless you have an ESR meter to test them you should just replace them all... not that expensive if you obtain the service kits available from on-line electronics suppliers like MCM Electronics. The reason the power supply is ticking is because there is more than likely a shorted 18V zener diode on the secondary side due to loss of regulation caused by the high ESR electrolytics. If you are not certain how to proceed you should go to the website for this newsgroup at

and plan to spend some quality search time there to find the wealth of troubleshooting, testing and repair information there.... otherwise you might want to TAKE your VCR to a service shop for what should be a fairly straightforward repair.... or at the very least, get a repair cost estimate so you can make an intelligent repair decision with facts instead of guesses. electricitym = = = = = = = = =

Reply to
electricitym

Thanks for the reply. I'm either gonna fix it myself or chuck it in the trash. I only use it so I can get the higher channels (and inputs for xbox) on my old crappy TV. I really like the feeling when I can fix something myself, I might have to look into an ESR meter. Thanks again.

Reply to
drognan

Gee..... replacing ALL the caps in the power supply is a heck of a lot cheaper than buying an ESR meter. Look at some of the on-line electronics suppliers like MCM, Dalbani, MAT Electronics, etc...... cap kits for most VCRs can be had for $10 to $15...... and be certain to check the diodes and transistors again for shorts.

-- Best Regards, Daniel Sofie Electronics Supply & Repair

sofie