RCA VR678HF won't accept tape

I reset the clock on my VCR Sunday morning. When I turned off the VCR, it ejected the tape that was in the unit. Now it will not accept any tape. The VCR does nothing when a tape is inserted.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Patterson

Unplug the VCR from the AC power for a half hour.... then plug it back in and try to insert a tape. For this test don't worry about setting the clock. electricitym . .

Reply to
electricitym

This worked until I reset the clock. Then it ejected the tape again.

Reply to
Stephen Patterson

First off, when you say it "doesn't accept a tape", do you mean it spits out the tape when it is inserted ot does the unit not take the tape at all?

If it takes it and spits it out: Do you have a timer recording set? When you are setting the clock, it maybe activating any set programs. If so, some VCRs require either a tape with the protection tab intact, or no tape when it is turned off. I have a panasonic VCR that does the exact same thing when the clock it is set. Just put a blank tape in to fix it.

If it doesn't attempt to take any tape, it may have bad logic circuitry. At worst, don't set the clock.

Reply to
nvic

It wont take a tape at all. It's like there is no power to the tape loading mechanism. I unplugged the VCR again for about 8 hrs, inserted tape, turned off VCR and it ejected the tape. Didn't set the clock this time. The protection tab is on the tape. I even tried multiple tapes just to be sure it wasn't the tape.

Reply to
Stephen Patterson

I used to have a VCR with a similar problem. It was a sylvania. It would take the tape, eat it, spit it out, and start flashing "err 3". Turns out the Feed reel was jammed with foreign objects. You might want to see if the feed reel turns when a tape is inserted before it spis them out. The feed reel is the one with all of the tape when the cassette if fully rewound. Just remove the units cover, power up, and add a cassette. Watch the wheel on the left and right. Do either spin? if not, check for toys, and other foreign objects. Let me know what you see, nvic.

Reply to
nvic