OK to Leave cordless phone in base all the time?

I bought an inexpensive GE cordless phone 5.8ghz, model 25839. It has a nickel cadmium battery pack.

The instructions say it should be charged for 12 hours prior to first use, but say nothing whatsoever about whether or not it's recommended to leave the phone in the base when not in use.

Do you recommend leaving it in the base all the time or should I only put it in the base to recharge after a low battery warning happens?

Thanks,

J.

Reply to
jaynews

Yes, it's OK, the manufacturers expect users will leave the unit on charge.

If you want to prolong the life of the NiCads you can allow the phone to run down every couple of months, but given the very low cost of rechargeables these days, even proprietry packs, I wouldn't give it a second thought. My DECT cordless phone stays on charge 24/7 and the batteries are still going strong after about three years.

Dave

Reply to
Dave D

"jaynews" bravely wrote to "All" (04 Nov 05 20:11:17) --- on the heady topic of "OK to Leave cordless phone in base all the time?"

ja> From: "jaynews" ja> Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:347567

ja> I bought an inexpensive GE cordless phone 5.8ghz, model 25839. It has ja> a nickel cadmium battery pack.

ja> The instructions say it should be charged for 12 hours prior to first ja> use, but say nothing whatsoever about whether or not it's recommended ja> to leave the phone in the base when not in use.

ja> Do you recommend leaving it in the base all the time or should I only ja> put it in the base to recharge after a low battery warning happens?

ja> Thanks,

ja> J.

You can prolong battery life. For example one thing I do is to feel the back of the handset with the back of my hand. If it feels warm I lift the phone and leave it aside. When it beeps because of a low battery I put it back on the base unit. It is not too critical.

A*s*i*m*o*v

... No electrons were harmed in the posting of this message.

Reply to
Asimov

I think that NiCd batteries are more resistant to trickle charging than NiMH. So if it uses NiCd then don't worry about it.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones