Cordless Phone batteries are all junk?

I would like to know if my cell phone battery situation is of general nature, or perhaps I had very unusual bad luck.

We have a Uniden cordless phone system that works very well, except that original batteries (BT-0003) have gone bad over the years.

Attempts to replace them with "Non-OEM", "Equivalent" bateries did not work well, basically those are junk that is falsely advertised. The sellers simply know that the batteries are uneconomical to return, so they sell junk that will not hold charge.

This particular battery BT-0003 seems to be no longer available from Uniden. When it was available years ago, it cost as must as a new handset.

That price relationship leads me to believe that cordless phone manufacturers purposely equip their phones with substandard batteries or charging circuits, in order to sell more cordless phones.

I would like to know whether there is some "honest" cordless phone systems that, say, use rechargeable AA batteries or something like that that has easy, economical replacement, or where good replacement batteries are available from known honest sellers.

Thanks

Ignoramus20496

Update, I did find it at Uniden for $25 apiece, plus shipping.

This fact really does not change my question.

Ignoramus20496

:
01

We get our NMH AA cells from Batteryjunction.com. Have not heard of a bad one. I don't know if they have the battery you specify, or not. Then, again, you may have to but them by the case.

Paul

Reply to
co_farmer

Not familiar with that particular battery configuration, but you can often make up your own battery pack with the right cells. Try:

I recently made up a replacement pack for my Roomba, at a 3rd of the cost of the OEM pack, using sub-C NimH w/tab batteries. JR Dweller in the cellar

-------------------------------------------------------------- Home Page:

If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes Doubt yourself, and the real world will eat you alive The world doesn't revolve around you, it revolves around me No skeletons in the closet; just decomposing corpses

-------------------------------------------------------------- Dependence is Vulnerability:

-------------------------------------------------------------- "Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal" "I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.."

Reply to
JR North

Also:

Good products from both sellers. JR Dweller in the cellar

-------------------------------------------------------------- Home Page:

If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes Doubt yourself, and the real world will eat you alive The world doesn't revolve around you, it revolves around me No skeletons in the closet; just decomposing corpses

-------------------------------------------------------------- Dependence is Vulnerability:

-------------------------------------------------------------- "Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal" "I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.."

Reply to
JR North

Some of the older Siemens 2.4-gig cordless phones take a pair of standard AA NiCd or NiMH button-end cells. I don't know if that's still true of their current models.

You might want to consider sending your existing battery packs to a reputable battery rebuilder... they can often open the case without destroying it, and replace the cells inside.

Dave Platt

Ive had EXCELLENT luck with these people

Gunner

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Hard to tell from the picture... are these just AA cells in a "custom" holder? I have had panasonic "battery packs" of similar design and was able to disassemble the "holder" (if you look carefully, you can see where the top "keeper" is a separate piece that snaps on -- though yours may be solvent welded) and replace the cells.

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Any particular model number Uniden phone system?

How many years? My various Panasonic cordless phones seem to last about 8-10 years. I'm on the original batteries for all of them.

What didn't work well? Did the battery run down too quickly? Did you have inadequate capacity (time running on battery)? Did it fail to take a charge? Any measurements or numbers?

Yep. 99% of everything is junk.

That's quite possible. I've received some fairly disgusting cell phone batteries that I would suspect are defective. The eBay vendor exchanged them at his expense. However, you're right that such low end stuff is usually not economical to return. If you want cheap, then be prepared to take some risks. If you want a warranty, be prepared to pay for it.

A quick Google search shows many vendors that sell this battery:

at reasonable prices. I've also rebuilt these battery packs. Tear it apart and weld some AAA NiMH rechargeable batteries in their place. This is not brain surgery.

Yep. Quality deteriorates until buyers start to complain. It then sits forever just above the complaint threshold.

Probably, but I don't know of any offhand. There seems to be a tradition (or conspiracy) that every handset product, including cell phones, must have a non-standard or weird shaped battery. Inside, they're all basically the same batteries, but manufacturers go through extreme efforts to prevent interchangeability. It wasn't always that way as I still recall the old 46/49Mhz phones, that used common AA NiCd batteries. Something changed, probably product liability litigation, which forced the manufacturers to change.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

I don't know if it was to this group, or not, but I recently posted a remark averring that all third-party lithium-ion batteries -- even from well-known companies -- were junk, and a waste of money. (They are.)

I can't speak for nicad or NiMH battery packs, as I've never bought third-party replacements. (OEM replacements have always been first-rate.) But the prices companies want for replacements are often insane.

I've never seen a cordless phone with unwired ("loose") cells that could be easily interchanged. Part of the reason might be legitimate safety concerns,

  • but most of it is simple greed. It appears that manufacturers insist on selling a battery pack they can profit from down the line.

You might consider tack-soldering the old leads to new cells. This can be tricky, as you don't want to overheat the cells.

  • I have a thin Sony Discman that takes two AA cells. There's nothing to prevent you from recharging any AA cells you put in the unit, and I've successfully recharged other brands.
Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Buy quality replacement cells from DigiKey and rebuild the batteries yourself.

Reply to
Pete C.

My experience has been that original batteries shipped with the devices are good - often lasting 10 years or more - but that replacements don't hold up.

I've purchased replacement cordless phone batteries at Radio Shack which only lasted about a year.

I have a Black & Decker cordless screwdriver. The original battery packaged with the unit has much greater capacity than the free one I had a coupon for and had to mail in.

I think they use the lower mAh "rejects" for the freebies.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark Zacharias

On the other hand, I replaced the batteries in 2 Motorola cordless phones with batteries I bought on Ebay from China for 2/$1.00 + $3 shipping. They hold a charge noticeably longer than the OEM which worked just fine. I guess I just got lucky.

Reply to
Buerste

Do you mean cordless phone or cellphone, they are two different animals in how they use power?

Reply to
hrhofmann

JR, I've got a dead Rhoomba, and would sure like some details on that.

Rex

Reply to
RBnDFW