Lines in Blue CRT on a Sony Projection TV

I have a 3 year old Sony projection TV that I am having problems with. With the TV on and a black screen displayed I can see numerous light horizontal lines that curve up in the center. These lines can also be seen while looking into the blue CRT tube (also when the TV is on, and there are no lines on the other tubes). Any idea what may be causing this? Thanks

Reply to
JJ

The blue tube is being overdriven and clipping so you're getting retrace lines. Did the problem occur suddenly or gradually? Either way you're in need of an experienced tech to repair the problem. Quit using the TV until it's fixed to prevent further damage.

Reply to
James Sweet

The CRTs are known problems on these models. The G2 voltage drifts upward over time due to internal leakage. Grounding the CRT pins with the TV on and socket removed will clear it up for a few weaks, but the leakage returns. I fudged one with stacked zeners to about 420 volts, and bumped the G2 up to butt up against the zeners. It's been running over a year now. Another tech told me that the focus\screen controls are known to be cranky, but I haven't seen one yet.

I read somewhere that contacting Sony may yield some sort of compensation if one or more of the CRTs are bad.

John

Reply to
John-Del