Sony Projection Help

I have a Sony KP53V45 projection television. I have a problem where the screen is full of horizontal lines. One repair shop told me it was probably the chip that controls convergence and want $400.00 to fix it. Is this possible? Can I replace the chip myself, and if so, how do I know which chip it is? I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron.

Thanks, Steve remove SPAM from email address

Reply to
Steve

I have not worked on the specific model you have, but have serviced many of the other types.

Generaly speaking, the fault is most likely more than a simple chip. These kits usualy comprise of a fair number of components. After installation the proper evalution must be made, and there are usually some calibrations to be done.

The price you were quoted is a fair price for a repair that can take a few hours to perform. Also, many of the kits are not cheap to buy.

Jerry G.

Steve wrote:

Reply to
Jerry G.

Actually Jerry, if it is a convergence problem, it is most likely either a bad solder joint or a bad output IC and likely nothing else unless the convergence generator is bad. the latter would be very rare. Problem is, someone who does not have the experience and the documentation is unlikely to figure out what it is. You could take a shot at changing the convergence output and resoldering a buch of joints and maybe fix it, but the problem might be unrelated to convergence at all with such a vague symptom.

Who uses kits to fix convergence problems anyway?

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

Hitachi has a Kit for certain Models for Convergence trouble.

kip

Reply to
kip

Yes they do, but they are not a lot of components. In most cases they are not even needed. I fix several Hitachi convergeence problems a week and never order anything but the chips and just keep an assortment of resistors. In general, kits are rarely used for convergence repairs and on the Sony set discussed, I have never seen a kit even marketed.

The point is that Jerry's advice was, as usual, not very accurate for the specific product (not even for the product category) mentioned and of little help to the OP. The OP needs to be more descriptive of the problem and if it is convergence, he can probably fix it with a little soldering, possibly a chip, and possibly a fuse. The related parts need to be checked but in these sets it is rare for anything else to be a problem in the convergence output stage.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

I have seen horizontal lines and other weird defects on Sony projectors caused by the jungle chip. Chuck

Reply to
Chuck