"ghost" image on Hitachi LCD projector

Does anyone know how to get into the service menu of a Hitachi CP-X430W? It has a faint double image, apparently in the red channel, and the optical alignment is correct. The cyan leading ghost image shows up on all screens including OSD menus. I've seen similar but correctable ghosting problems in other projectors. Older Sanyo models like the PLC-9000 and other makes such as Boxlight 9600, Eiki LC-X1 and Proxima 9310 made by Sanyo were "repairable" by getting into the service menu and changing one data value. I'd hate to toss this Hitachi for such a fault if it's repairable in that manner. It's out of warranty and Hitachi doesn't want to talk to me.

Ray Carlsen A/V Engineering University of Washington, Seattle

--

My return addy is spamblocked. To reply, remove the zeroes.
Reply to

I've seen something like you describe in NEC LCD projectors. AIRC, the problem was warpage of the affected LCD panel; repairable (replace the panel), but not economically.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

jak, Thanks for the feedback. We've had quite a few projectors including NEC fail with bad panels or filters, but the symptoms were quite different, mostly consisting of blue blobs sneaking through what should be a dark background or yellow spots on a white screen. They always seem to under-rate the cooling in LCD projectors. The fault with this Hitachi is that the "ghost" image is exactly 12 pixels wide and shows up ahead of normal vertical lines. A warped panel or dichroic filter wouldn't do that. If a red-only screen is displayed and the RGB input is fed color bars at 50% level (you will not see it at 100%), the right side of the red vertical bar is dark, the width of 12 pixels. The green and blue channels are OK. As I mentioned before, we had quite a few Sanyo based projectors with the same kind of problem. The "cure" for those was to change the data in one memory location in the service menu. We needed the ear of a knowledgeable tech at Sanyo, and I got it several years ago... that problem was solved for Sanyos.

Ray

--

My return addy is spamblocked. To reply, remove the zeroes.
Reply to
Ray Carlsen

I've a similar problem with a sanyo PLC-SU33. The image is doubled in blue a few distance at right. You mentioned that the solution is in the service menu. Where could I find this information?.

Thanks.

Toni

Reply to
antoni.ubieto

"antoni.ubieto" wrote in message news:3ridnWq41ZtXBabVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

There is probably a ghost adjustment in the service menu, most of their products here including the 50V/60V500 models have a specific adjustment. Check your service literature regarding ghosting adjustment. I.E. You do have the Service Manual for this set>Correct?

Reply to
Art

Finally I've found the service manual for the Sanyo PLC-SU33. This isn't any reference to ghosting adjustments. I've tryed varying all the electric adjustments items refering to the blue without success to cancelling the blue ghost image. Have you any idea before trying optical adjusments?

Thank you.

Toni.

Reply to
antoni.ubieto

If it's ghosting, the problem is probably not anything you can adjust. Usually it means something has failed.

Reply to
James Sweet