LCD projector Problem

I have had a chance to dig into this LCD projector that has been producing ghost images.

I tried disconnecting all but one lcd panel inside the projector and it produced an image which had a ghost image in the center but not near the edges.

My queststion is this typical of warped polarization filters? I would think that it would require more than one lcd to produce an image that is ghosted like this for warped filters to be the problem.. for example one panel would be sending light a bit out of convergence.

Does anyone have any expirence with this?

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

WAG. Could it just be a reflection due to grime on the face of the panel ?

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Thanks for the fast reply!

Hmm.. I don't think it is grime. The projector appears to be pretty clean inside. My other projector has dust inside it you can foucus in on. This one appears to be clean aside from one speck on the screen.

I had thought the problem might be electronic in nature and since this thing has loads of electrolytics on I tried freezing them to see if it would make any difference. There was no aparrent effect on the image. Unfortunately I can't check the ESR since I am on the other side of the planet and my ESR meter is back home. I knew I should have brought it with me.

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

Well I think I may have partially answered my own question... I'm pretty sure the problem lies in the electronics.

I set up a full screen image of dark blue and light blue text. No problems. Convergence is perfect.

Tried full screen red... To the right there are 4 or 5 black lines 1 pixel wide each near the right edge of the screen.

Tried full screen green. There are 4 or 5 1 pixel wide black lines to the left of the screen.

So I guess that means the problems are electronic.. Where to start.

This is an Epson ELP-5000 projector.

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

Ah well. :-) I might have been lucky !

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Can you swap drive among the panels? That might help to narrow it down to the electronics, LCDs, or optics.

-- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Samuel M. Goldwasser

I think I've narrowed it down to the electronics. A red full screen image has 4 or 5 1 pixel lines runing vertically on the far right side of the screen. If you adjust the image location in the setup for the projector these lines move with the image.

The same is true for green except the lines are on the left side of the screen.

A blue image converges fine as along as all things are shades of blue. for example blue background with light blue text.

Reply to
Michael Kennedy