LCD Projector Ghosting

I have an Epson ELP-5000 Lcd projector that I picked up a couple of months ago. It worked great for a while and then I started to notice that on of the color channels was flickering rather fast and that was quite annoying... It was only noticable on a white screen though. I thought I might have a loose cable or something, but trying a different VGA cable didn't help anything.

More recently, the picture has started to ghost on all colors. The worst of the effects are to the right and left fo the center. Horizontally it is not affected, only vertically.

My first thoughts were that something has gone wrong in the convergence. High ESR caps or something, but unfortunately my ESR meter is back in the USA and I'm in Japan. So before I go to the trouble of buying or building a new ESR meter. What would you guess is the problem?

Thanks,. Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

Sorry that was wrong... I meant to say Vertically the screen is not affected but it is horizontally. The closer you get to the left or right of the screen the worse the ghosting gets. The picture is almost clear in the center, although there is some slight gosting, it is very faint.

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

On some projectors this is caused by heat warping various parts of the imaging components. On at least one NEC model, it's the polarizing filters that warp.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

Thanks for the reply Jak.

I had hoped to hear that the likely problem was electronic in nature rather than mechanical. I've never taken a projector completely apart and honestly, don't know what the filters look like or where they're located.

Are replacements easy to come by? I suppose I can live with it the way it is.. I only paid about $65 for it (wokring properly) and the composit input scaling sucks.

The only motivation I have to fix it is the hassle of disposing of things here..

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

I only put that out as a possibility. There are projector forums dealing specifically with such things. Google the model number.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

Thanks Jak,

Unfortunately this is a Japanese model only available in Japan. Although it makes sense since I'm in JP... Too bad I don't know more of the language I could decipher what the google results were.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

I just gave up on a Panasonic LCD projector with the same problem. The service manual mentioned a software called "L701 zip Ver 1" used to eliminate RGB ghosts. Hooks up via serial port. Tried hunting for the same all over and came up with nothing. Loosening the LCD plates and attemting to adjust convergence would'nt help cos il ater realised the ghosts were prevalent in each of the 3 beams ( with 2 disconnected). Does anyone have this software? Jango.

Reply to
jango2

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

bz    	73 de N5BZ k