Photocopier negative "ghost" image

Hello All;

I have a Minolta CSPRO 1080 that creates ghost images on the copies. It's actually a negative or reverse image...looks like someone used black spraypaint to lightly paint over a stencil. After installing a new drum and cleaning blade, the first copy looked perfect...yea, high- fives all around. :) But subsequent copies developed the negative ghost image. Second copy had one ghost image on the left and right side of the copy. Third copy had 2 ghost images and so on til about the 6th copy. After that, the ghost images gets darker and darker but does not increase in number. Meaning, the center of the page is clean with no ghost images.

So after buying a new drum and blade, I still have the same original problem. Any help is appreciated before I invest more money into the copier.

Thanks, HD

Reply to
nguyen_ohio

Have you complained to Minolta?

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Check your erase crona wire (I think this model will have one...) This wire discharges the drum so the scraper will actually pick up the toner.

Reply to
PeterD

What does this copier use to erase the drum? Older units had a string of incandescent lamps, it's been a long time since I've worked on one though.

Reply to
James Sweet

Hey Bill, why complaining to Minolta? You guys should complain to your Coast-to-Coast Radio station, because you guys like to convince each other of ghost and weird things. Some idiots said he has power when he approached the street light it turned blinking, he didn't know that the light was about to go out. Oh America, wake up, you've been sleeping so long.

...Jim Thompson

--
|  James E.Thompson, P.E.                                       | mens |
|  Analog Innovations, Inc.                                        | et

|  Analog/Mixed-Signal ASICK's and Discrete Systems  |    manus  |
|  Phoenix, Arizona                   Voice:(480)460-2350  |             |
|  E-mail Address at Website     Fax:(480)460-2142     |  Brass Rat  |
|       http://www.analog-innovations.com                    |    1962     |

   America: Land of the Freedom Abusers, Because of the Bastards.

The manual talks about a strong light to erase the drum so I assume it's some light source (incadescent or flourescent) but not sure since I haven't seen it. It appears that the drum is getting really dirty and the negative image is caused when it "prints" a new image which "cleans" off that part of the drum. So it's pulling off the old toner that's stuck to the drum exposing a clean surface underneath. If I run multiple blank copies, the negative "ghost" images eventually disappears...gets darkened and blends in with the rest of the "dirty" copy.

I'm normally just a user of photocopiers and learning how to fix them out of necessity...small town with no local Minolta dealer. I'm not fully understanding PeterD's comment about the erase corona. I thought the erase stage actually applies the positive charge to the drum. I don't think there is a corona wire before the scraper in this model. Will need to look into it. Thanks for the suggestions/ feedback. I'm looking at cleaning out the old toner and getting fresh new one. I'll let you know how this turns out.

HD

Reply to
hd.nguyen

My background info on copier workings

The charge neutralising light does not have to be very bright, usually a string of LEDs or string of festoon bulbs. Nothing like as bright as the main exposure lamp. Look for a thin glass cover strip between the lamp carrier and the OPC. It is normaly removable for cleaning. You problem could also be due to absence of scavaging voltage , wiper blades are out of fashion these days I think.

N Cook

And how do you think the erase stage applies that positive charge to the drum...

That may well be true, I don't know either. It was a WAG on my part, something that I would check for were I to see this problem.

Please do... Good luck!

Reply to
PeterD

Yet another blatant forgery.

Reply to
JosephKK

The cleaning lamp may also be the problem or the image could be on the fuser roller.

Reply to
Luc