Embedded Linux Distribution?

I am looking into setting up an embedded PC running linux on a diskonchip.
Does anyone have any suggestion on a particular linux distribution to use? I
could simply roll my own but if anyone has any suggestions it would be
appreciated.

Would you suggest JFFS2 for the file system in order to make the device
"Power Fail Safe" or is there another file system I should look at?

Cory

Re: Embedded Linux Distribution?

Depends on how much time and money you got for this project.
If you have time I suggest that you bild your own distro.
What is the CPU?

JFFS2 is a great fs although it has some drawbacks. But for flash it's the
perfect sollution.
Usually on all embedded systems based on linux it's used in combination with
cramfs (for the
"read-only" part of the image ) and tmpfs for log, chaching and apps that need
fast file ops.

My experience shows that if you keep 10-15% of the jffs2 partition empty there
won't be any
problems.

Best Regards,
--
Alexander Popov                  ProSyst Bulgaria Inc.
Team Leader                      48 Vladajska Str.

One of the nasty problems that I had with low space on JFFS2 partitions is the
transaction hangs.
When you have very little space and delete a file the fs doesn't report the
space available
immediately ( you need to wait for a few minutes ).
Another problem  is that it slows down greatly when there less than 10%
available.
Also I noticed that smaller partitions are usually fasted ( don't know the
reason )

Regards,
Alexander