embedded Linux for product development

I am looking for a good Linux distribution for an embedded system. We have a small budget, so costs does make sense. Better supports are also appreciated. Could anybody please recommend one or a few candidates?

BTW, how is ¦ÌClinux 2.6.26? How is Wind River Linux 3.0? Which one is better in your opinion? Any other good candidate?

Thank you in advance.

Johnson

Reply to
Johnson L

BTW, our product is based on LPC2000 family, and uses C language for development.

Reply to
Johnson L

BTW, I heard 90% of the embedded Linux developers built their own OS for free, instead of purchasing a commercial distribution from Wind River or LynuxWork or else. Is it true? Our product is not hobby work any more, and we are serious about the business. Is it a good choice for us to go with a free Linux or a commercial distribution?

Thanks.

Johnson

Reply to
Johnson L

ve

is

At my work WindRiver did a pretty convincing presentation about their Linux offering. The management types were keen to use it but there were 2 reasons that we decided no to go with it. The first was we'd already gone down the path of rolling our own and couldn't really figure out what we were going to gain by handing over money. The second was we would be locked into using the full workbench (based on eclipse) suite of tools and the windriver build system.

We didn't like the tools because we'd had some bad experiences with the eclipse C indexer dieing horribly when pointed at a massive codebase (like the Linux kernel). We'd also built up a nice make system that we'd essentially have to re-do.

My preference would be the roll your own approach using code from kernel.org and something like buildroot (http:// buildroot.uclibc.org/) or openembedded

for your make system and userland apps.

Having said that if you are starting from scratch and have got the cash WindRiver have got the tools and training infrastructure that may save you some time.

- C

Reply to
Chris

[...]

Very informative. I think it is the way to go!

Reply to
Johnson L

You may use OpenEmbedded or one of its derivative distro like KaeilOS with commercial support if needed :

IMHO is the perfect choiche.

-- helix

Reply to
helix