Embedded linux resources

I have been trying to find good resources whether on the web, or
books, to assist us in embedding linux on an x86 board.  I did search
this group first before posting, and did not find what I am looking
for.  In particular, we are looking to place linux on a read-only
partition on a flash card, so as to minimize the liklihood of
corrupting the system.  Anyone have suggestions for sites and/or books
to help on this subject.

Richard

Re: Embedded linux resources

| I have been trying to find good resources whether on the web, or
| books, to assist us in embedding linux on an x86 board.  I did search
| this group first before posting, and did not find what I am looking
| for.  In particular, we are looking to place linux on a read-only
| partition on a flash card, so as to minimize the liklihood of
| corrupting the system.  Anyone have suggestions for sites and/or books
| to help on this subject.

How big is the flash card?  How big is the system?

| Phil Howard KA9WGN (ka9wgn.ham.org)  /  Do not send to the address below |
Re: Embedded linux resources

512MB flash card, currently 256MB SDRam, but could be more if we need
to,
not hurting for space with our current Linux build.  As I said,
largely looking
for suggestions about decent books and/or websites for information on
how
to go about setting this up.

--
Richard

Re: Embedded linux resources
On 20 Feb 2007 13:19:35 -0800

Just released the 14th version of Embedded Slackware SDK.

- i486 or pxa255
- script driven
- full Documentation

Auto creates component selectable filesystem and bootstraps
(32MB - 1 GB) USB mounted compact flash.

For more info visit

http://www.sysdev.org/site
ftp://ftp.sysdev.org/pub/lintools/EBS

There are 10 types of people in this world, those that read
binary and those who don't!

--
  __      __  _     I N C.               http://www.sysdev.org
/ __|\// __||  \  __   __          /         snipped-for-privacy@sysdev.org

Thanks, will take a look when the website is accessible.

--
Richard

Re: Embedded linux resources

The website has not been accessible at all, is there a mirror
somewhere?

--
Richard

Re: Embedded linux resources
On 26 Feb 2007 08:03:54 -0800

Sorry, at the time my ISP went belly-up.  Getting an adequate
substitute was a headache, but finally found someone that knows
how to give good http: sonic.net

The 2 above links should now work!
TonyB

There are 10 types of people in this world, those that read
binary and those who don't!

--
  __      __  _     I N C.               http://www.sysdev.org
/ __|\// __||  \  __   __          /         snipped-for-privacy@sysdev.org
Re: Embedded linux resources

I did it by setting up a minimum Linux on a desktop PC and using strace
and lsof to home in on anything writing out of place.

Decide on how you wish to setup the partitions - I had the flash card as
the root filesystem (/) - a ramdisk as /tmp another ramdisk as
/var/log and a read/write data partion for configuration and data.

I wrote two very simple shell scripts (if you can call them that) and
placed then in /bin  one called "rw" one called "ro" (mostly because I
forget the syntax of mount and this saves typing)

# cat /bin/ro
mount -n -o remount,ro /
# cat /bin/rw
mount -n -o remount,rw /

Boot the system - play around in read/write mode, when you make changes
change the shells working directory away from /

#cd /tmp

now make the system read only

#ro

now run stuff - see what breaks by using strace and lsof to see what is
trying to write outside of /

Then put it back to read/write

#cd /tmp
#rw

Fix things, repeat until done !

I don't think you will find what your looking for in a book.

Jon

Re: Embedded linux resources

Richard,

I'm currently beginning work embedding Linux on an Atmel chip and came
across a few e-books regarding embedded Linux development on an Atmel
FTP server -
ftp://at91dist:distrib@81.80.104.162/AT91_Third_Party_Design_Flow/Linux_Host/Doc
.  I haven't had a chance to read any of them yet, so I'm not sure of
the exact content matter, but it may help a bit.  Also, O'Reilly has
made some of their books available to be read online at
http://safari.oreilly.com /
.

Hope this helps,
Alex