jffs is OK, jffs2 gives me trouble!

hi all,

I', trying oto set up an embedded board with JFFS/JFFS2.

Up to now, I'm correctly creating and mounting JFFS file system:
I create it with mkfs.jffs, erase my flash, copy it to the flash,
and run the kernel with root=/dev/mtdblock0.

Making the same steps with jffs2 (same steps, but I create
the fs using mkfs.jffs2) I get the following message while
booting the kernel:

VFS: Mounted root (jffs filesystem) readonly
Freeing unused kernel memory: 84k freed
Warning: unable to open an initial console.
Kernel panic: No init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel.

It seems the file system was not created correctly: does anyone
know it JFFS2 needs some particular setup/initialization/configuration?

I'm using kernel 2.4.21, with JFFS and JFFS2 enabled, running on
a AMD AU1100 (MIPS machine), with 16M flash.

thanks for every suggestion
gianluca

Re: jffs is OK, jffs2 gives me trouble!
I give myself an answer: boot the kernel
with the option "rootfstype=jffs2": this
recognize the filesystem, but each boot
give some warning:

jffs2_scan_empty(): Empty block at 0x0000fffc ends at 0x00010000 (with
0x200319y
CLEANMARKER node found at 0x00010000, not first node in block
(0x00000000)
jffs2_scan_empty(): Empty block at 0x0002fffc ends at 0x00030000 (with
0x200319y
CLEANMARKER node found at 0x00030000, not first node in block
(0x00020000)

Any idea what it means?
gianluca

Re: jffs is OK, jffs2 gives me trouble!

This is pretty normal the first time you bring up a device with JFFS2,
especially if it hasn't been formatted or if there is other data still
on the device. It should go away and the device should mount and
read/write fine.

Re: jffs is OK, jffs2 gives me trouble!

You're trying to mount a JFFS2 filesystem as a JFFS filesystem.

Re: jffs is OK, jffs2 gives me trouble!
you got the point!
telling the kernel rootfstype=jffs2 solved the problem.

For the other problem, the error disappeared
when I created the jffs2 file system with the
correct erase block size (mkfs.jffs2 -e 0x20000 ....)

thank you
gianluca

Site Timeline