jffs is OK, jffs2 gives me trouble!

hi all,

I', trying oto set up an embedded board with JFFS/JFFS2.

Up to now, I'm correctly creating and mounting JFFS file system: I create it with mkfs.jffs, erase my flash, copy it to the flash, and run the kernel with root=/dev/mtdblock0.

Making the same steps with jffs2 (same steps, but I create the fs using mkfs.jffs2) I get the following message while booting the kernel:

VFS: Mounted root (jffs filesystem) readonly Freeing unused kernel memory: 84k freed Warning: unable to open an initial console. Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.

It seems the file system was not created correctly: does anyone know it JFFS2 needs some particular setup/initialization/configuration?

I'm using kernel 2.4.21, with JFFS and JFFS2 enabled, running on a AMD AU1100 (MIPS machine), with 16M flash.

thanks for every suggestion gianluca

Reply to
giangiammy

I give myself an answer: boot the kernel with the option "rootfstype=jffs2": this recognize the filesystem, but each boot give some warning:

jffs2_scan_empty(): Empty block at 0x0000fffc ends at 0x00010000 (with

0x200319y CLEANMARKER node found at 0x00010000, not first node in block (0x00000000) jffs2_scan_empty(): Empty block at 0x0002fffc ends at 0x00030000 (with 0x200319y CLEANMARKER node found at 0x00030000, not first node in block (0x00020000)

Any idea what it means? gianluca

Reply to
giangiammy

You're trying to mount a JFFS2 filesystem as a JFFS filesystem.

Reply to
Geronimo W. Christ Esq

This is pretty normal the first time you bring up a device with JFFS2, especially if it hasn't been formatted or if there is other data still on the device. It should go away and the device should mount and read/write fine.

Reply to
Geronimo W. Christ Esq

you got the point! telling the kernel rootfstype=jffs2 solved the problem.

For the other problem, the error disappeared when I created the jffs2 file system with the correct erase block size (mkfs.jffs2 -e 0x20000 ....)

thank you gianluca

Reply to
giangiammy