Compiling and use of embedded Linux

Please forgive this WinXX slave for asking:

Which flavor of Linux desktop is best for compiling and debugging embedded linux sources ?

I wish to convert one of my desktop systems to Linux.

But which disti is best ?

Thanks,

Your humble slave,

donald

Reply to
Donald

Actually, any distribution can do the job. Since you're new, download, burn & try one or two live-CDs (like Knoppix, SimplyMEPIS or Ubuntu).

When you select your favorite, install it in a box and then install your embedded system SDK in it. Then you can start playing! :-)

All you want is usually a C/C++ compiler and the SDK. And to read the docs of course!

Start looking here:

and

Apostolos

--
Replace earth.space with gmail.com for a valid e-mail
Reply to

To quote my son on the same question: 'Pick the distro which your buddies nearby have'.

The embedded tools have to be installed anyway, so you can otherwise pick the distro you feel at home with.

I'm using Debian Sarge (and also MAC OS X, but it is OT here) to develop ARM embedded code.

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

This is the best answer that I've ever heard. Seriously, using what your buddies have makes tech support so much easier. I moved from RedHat/Fedora to Mandriva for exactly this reason.

--
Pat
Reply to

Thanks all for your responses.

I know of a local linux user group, I will ask there.

donald

Reply to
Donald

These distros are only for desktop, if you nedd an embedded distro (SDK) for the target system, you can find some info here

BTW I'm using Fedora

on the Host and Klinux
on the Target. HTH Cheers

--
/helix
-----------

[... snipped ...]

No offence but the OP asked specifically for a desktop distribution.

Apostolos

--
Replace earth.space with gmail.com for a valid e-mail
Reply to
Apostolos P. Tsompanopoulos

Is there any doc you can share with here about how to develop / install embedded MAC OS X for embedded ARM? which ARM are you using or which capable for ARM embedded code develoment?

Sam

Reply to
sam

Sorry - you associated the target and host in a different way I intended: the hosts are PC (and Sparc)/Linux and MAC OS X and the target is ARM, Atmel AT91 series (ARM7TDMI).

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi