Embedded linux on a PCI cpu card?

Dear all,
    I've searched on Googles, but I can't find exact answers for my
question. What I really want to do is to install a PCI cpu card on my
desktop PC's PCI slots. The OS on PCI cpu card is one of embedded
Linux systems, and Linux on my desktop PC. And the most important, I
wish the PCI cpu card can be used by my desktop Linux directly through
PCI bus. So I have to ensure that the two computers can communicate
through PCI bus.
    Is it possible to achieve this? I know most PCI cpu cards are
installed on a PCI passive backplane, not on a desktop PCI bus. So is
it possible? And if it's possible, is there any solution already? Or
how can I start to write a device driver? For example, how the I/O is
done on both sides, or else. Thanks in advance.
--
Chun-Chieh Huang, aka Albert   | E-mail: jjhuang AT cm.nctu.edu.tw
T                         |

On the PCI card, put some dual port RAM between the PCI controller and
the embedded processor. The main processor writes the input parameters
and after that the function request code to the dual port RAM. The
embedded processor polls for a new function code, executes the request
and returns the result to the dual port RAM and sets the status into
DP-RAM. The original (PC) processor detects the change of the status
and extracts the result.

To speed up the detection of request and response, interrupts can be
used both ways to alert the other processor.

Paul

Re: Embedded linux on a PCI cpu card?
As PCI support bus master DMA (and the cache systems support
"invalidate"), the CPUs should be able to mutually access (part of)
"their" RAM chips (if the hardware is designed to present it in some
address range).

-Michael

Re: Embedded linux on a PCI cpu card?
This seems to be a kind of clustering.

If you purchase a slot CPU that is not intended to be used as the main
PCI bus master of a passive PCI bus, but as a part of a multiple CPU PCI
system (I suppose the hardware needs to be different) it should come
with some documentation on how multiple CPUs on the system are to
communicate.

-Michael

Re: Embedded linux on a PCI cpu card?

Probably your PCI board have a non-transparent PCI-to-PCI bridge so you
can communicate between the two CPU through it. I suggest you to
discover the model of your bridge and search on google for a driver and
to search information about TCP/IP on the PCI-bus. As the last resort
you can write your own driver for the bridge.

Bye.
Stefano.

Re: Embedded linux on a PCI cpu card?

    Thanks for all replies. The CPU card I interested is as follows:
http://www.advantech.com/products/Model_Detail.asp?model_id=1-D6LRY&bu =
This is a PCI slot CPU card manufactured by Advantech. According to
its datasheet, the CPU on it connects to PCI by ICH2 of Intel i815E
chipset. So I'm really confused of the possibilities to put it on a
desktop PC, because that means both CPU connect to PCI bus by ICH2.
    I can't find any document for how to communicate through PCI bus
on Advantech's web pages. Is there any suggestion?

--
Chun-Chieh Huang, aka Albert   | E-mail: jjhuang AT cm.nctu.edu.tw
T                         |
Re: Embedded linux on a PCI cpu card?

 From a quick reading of the datasheet it seems that this board can be
used only as a PCI-master (i.e. it has a transparent PCI bridge). So I
think you cannot install it on a desktop pc, but you have to get a
passive PCI backplane.

Bye,
Stefano.

Re: Embedded linux on a PCI cpu card?

    Thanks for your reply. I finally give up this idea. I think I
should get a single board computer with IEEE-1394, and connect two
computers via IEEE-1394 bus. It's faster and more straitforward.
Thanks all who reply.
--
Chun-Chieh Huang, aka Albert   | E-mail: jjhuang AT cm.nctu.edu.tw
T                         |
If Linux had been dominant (Re: Embedded linux on a PCI cpu card?)

Then we would have videoboards with a (PowerPC) processor running X...

/RogerL

--
Roger Larsson
Skellefte