Choosing an embedded linux with driver support

I am new to the embedded linux world, and would like to choose the right OS for an industrial control machine. We will be using PC-104 boards. An important factor is support for a wide variety of drivers for standard peripherals.

Which top 3 are considered the best general purpose embedded linux (commercial or free) with the best toolsets and driver support?

Thanks..

Reply to
DD

I could not prevent a colleague of mine to do this using Windows XP embedded . For small quantities the license fee does not harm too much. I suppose driver support and tool availability is excellent.

Of course Linux is free and provides much more flexibility, less resource hunger, better security and better soft real-time behavior (Kernel 2.6) (even hard real-time when adding RTAI or such).

-Michael

Reply to
Michael Schnell