Java Compilation on Monta Vista Linux

Hello : We have application wriiten in Java which we want to build on
MV Linux for an embedded system ?
1. we want to know if we need to make any change to the java s ource
code to make it
   compatible for MV Linux where the target board would be IBM/Motorola
Power PC 700.

2. How do we setup the build enviornment for Java based applications.

thanks
Mudit

Re: Java Compilation on Monta Vista Linux
Hi,

you need to have or port a java virtual machine on
your platform: I'm using kaffe - evantually chages in
java source depend on haw complete the jvm
porting is.

Another idea is to compile the java source to binary executible
for your target (for example with gcj)

bye
giammy
Re: Java Compilation on Monta Vista Linux
giammy : Could u elaborate on what u mean when u say "the java source
to binary executible
for your target (for example with gcj)"

Re: Java Compilation on Monta Vista Linux

reading man helps a lot!

Re: Java Compilation on Monta Vista Linux

1. Please write complete words and sentences. It
    is easier to read for us foreigners.

2. There are two ways to execute Java code

    - bytecode
    - native code.

The bytecode is a machine-independent binary code compiled
from the Java source code. To run it there must be a program
called Java Virtual Machine (JVM) in the native binary code
of the target processor in the target machine.

Native code is what the name says: binary code in the
own binary format of the target computer. It does not
need the JVM to run.

The classical method of compiling Java code is to bytecode,
and it's the only sensible format for Internet applets which
have to run on different target machines.

The GCJ compiler of the GNU compiler suite is able to
treat Java in much the same way as e.g. C: to the native
code of the target computer instead of bytecode.

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

Re: Java Compilation on Monta Vista Linux
Tauno and others : So what I got is that the byte code that we have
will still work if used with the rite JRE for the target paltform . I
do not need to built the byte code again. Please correct me if I am
wrong.

Re: Java Compilation on Monta Vista Linux

Yes - provided that all the other classes needed
by it are present at the target system.

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

Re: Java Compilation on Monta Vista Linux
tauno preceded me in giving you an answer:
his mail is very detailed

bye
giammy

Site Timeline