OT: Canada Agrees to be Missile Target

If it were going to revert, it would revert to Russia -- but they were paid for the purchase, called "Seward's Folly".

I am sure all the folks in Vancouver are happy to hear this.

Reply to
John Walton

Hey, Jim, please don't insult our Canukite neighbors too much. They might cut off our supply of Canadian Bacon, and we couldn't make Eggs Benedict any more, and the entire US brunch industry would collapse. Thousands of gay waiters named Brian ("hello, I'll be your server today, let me tell you about the specials") would be thrown out of work.

And don't forget, we need the English Muffins, too.

John

So you should write to Kim and point out (very politely) that firing missiles over Japan isn't nice.

John

I bet our local Canadaphobes would get a perverse pleasure to know that at the clinic yesterday, I saw was a sign that read, "If you have arrived from China, Taiwan, Singapore, Cambodia, Hanoi, Vietnam, or Toronto, Canada, and have a fever or cough, please tell the duty nurse and you will be issued a mask and seated separately from the other patients in the waiting room".

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich The Newsgropup Wacko
[posted from a.b.s.electronic]

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 00:15:02 -0800, Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, the Dark

So, we have a tradeoff between idiots clogging up the group with lunatic fringe BS (of every stripe - there's a 23-post apolitical pissing contest a couple of threads up), and those who clog up the NG bitching about OT posts.

I say, leave BOTH kinds out, and plonk the offenders. At least on _this_ NG. ;-)

If you want to find a place that won't notice more political lunatic BS, check out sci.physics! ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I read in sci.electronics.design that John Larkin wrote (in ) about 'OT: Canada Agrees to be Missile Target', on Thu, 3 Mar

2005:

You have a highly commendable sense of priorities. Incidentally, in UK, we call Canadian bacon 'back bacon' or maybe 'cut-through'. And I'm not at all sure that your 'English muffins' are what we call(ed) a muffin. We appear to call your muffins 'American muffins'!

Why is the spin you can put on a Frisbee called 'English'?

John Woodgate

Just rename it "Freedom Bacon".

;-)

Reply to
Steve Hall

A quick google leads to a reference to a story which appeared in the

1959 April 4/5 Sunday Times that ties it to an (unnamed) English pool player from the late 1800s who, they say, played in the US and greatly impressed the locals with his the side spin he put on his balls.

Pretty vague and anecdotal.

Then there is "body English" (or perhaps "body english"), which seems even more improbable.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I looked for a reference for English Muffins and tripped across this site...

Ah, here we are:

Half of a toasted English Muffin is the standard foundation for Eggs Benedict here. Top with Canadian Bacon, poached egg, and hollandaise sauce. Eggs Sardou substitutes a spinach cream sauce, even better.

Originally it meant applying spin to a pool or tennis ball.

John

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 19:00:28 +0000, John Woodgate

Think "crumpet." Although "English muffins" in the U.S. are a little drier and coarser, the similarity (origin) is clear.

--
Noah
Reply to

I heard that the English Muffin was actually a failed attempt at a crumpet. But you can't very well eat a hamburger on a crumpet.

John

I think we should settle the matter with at least one sample. Is then address on your website okay to receive a little package, John?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Personally, I rather enjoy starting the day with a little crumpet. Afterwards, a shower then breakfast :)

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

Yes. And checking the corporate policy manual, it says that if you send it, I'll eat it.

John

You have it right, to a certain extent. If Korea is the problem, then fix Korea.

I understand that the Korean nuclear capability is an indirect result of the US's molycoddling of Pakistan. From that perspective it's just more blow-back from cracker-jack policies that have supported 'safe' dictatorships, around the world.

Without that assistance, Korea would likely still just be tinker-toying with their Candus.

RL

Reply to
legg

That's a little *strumpet*, silly.

John

Alas, I'm no longer allowed to send you any food items without tons of red tape. Seems Homeland Security fears I might poison you with a bad English muffin or something. I was thinking of John Woodgate for the Left Pondian opinion. ;-)

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

^^^^ Right Pondian, that should be.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Well, send me a picture. I was going to post a picture of what passes for "crumpet" around here, but Mo just ate the last one.

John

No argument there. We're directly at fault for all the evils of the world for the last 4,000 years at least.

John