OT: Canada Agrees to be Missile Target

Don't "forget" to send all the oil, gas and electricity back too. ;-)

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

About 17% of US crude oil imports (biggest supplier).

NAFTA was a lousy deal for Canada in that it ceded much sovereignty over energy resources and investment review-- re-negotiating it is a

*good* idea (only 6 months notice required). Also to deal with "issues" where the agreement is being systematically violated over a period of years on behalf of US special interests such as softwood lumber. What's the point of an agreement if the other side ignores it at will while insisting on the terms beneficial to themselves?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Who needs missiles when you can hijack a couple of airplanes to do the job ....

Reply to
Black

In US dollars? Sure, there's an easy 300% return. ;-)

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

If they had the capability and desire, terrorists would probably use a few $3000 shipping containers, and one or two would get through.

ABM is intended to nullify the deterrent capability of weak states and

3rd-rate regional powers, not for use against terrorists.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Actually, all the electricity gets sent back and forth 60 times a second. Interdependence is a wonderful thing, which is why all families are happy.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Plus, Canada does have some pressing military needs. Bilge pumps, for instance.

Reply to
Ken Finney

While that certainly appears to be its only effect, I suspect a lot of the proponents are more attracted to the will-o-wisp of a 'perfect shield'. Not to say there aren't some who relish the upper hand it might give them on attack (provided of course they can ever get it to work).

Robert

Reply to
R Adsett

As you say, any talk of 'tactical nukes' or 'anti-missle shields' are really directed at keeping Russia and China in line.

Korea and Iran aren't about to take on the role of "Evil Empire", despite Bush's "Axis of Evil" rhetoric. They might be able to scrape together a few hiroshima sized nukes (assuming they haven't already done so) and sell them on the black market, but nobody is going to put such a precious commodity on a missle when they can ship one to NY in a container for $1000.

--
Regards,
   Robert Monsen

"Your Highness, I have no need of this hypothesis."
     - Pierre Laplace (1749-1827), to Napoleon,
        on why his works on celestial mechanics make no mention of God.
Reply to
Robert Monsen

Or maybe some Boeing helicopters, rather than EH-101 or Eurocopter NH-90. I think Boeing has the largest non-Russian product (and it's fairly unlikely Canada would go with Russian helicopters).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Apparently, you mass-murder-lovers skipped elementary school grammar.

This is not surprising, considering the amount of brain damage required to align with evil.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

Since when do those states comply to the rule that they only use missiles ? Koreans can fly planes too.

Reply to
Black

A very short flight, followed by plummeting, exploding, burning sort of things.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Hey, chill Rich, and have some free ice cream:

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Rrrrrrring!

"Hello, secretary's office of Canada."

"Hi, this is the United States calling. There will be a North-Korean nuke flying over your backyard in about 10 seconds. Can we shoot it down, or are you going to?"

"Uh... the Minister's office is closed today, but if you like you may leave a voicemail message..."

Reply to
Mark Jones

OK, we'll just take back our Fritos and Oreos and Velveeta and microwave popcorn and Bud Light and "Sex And The City" and you'll be sorry.

John

At least we'll still have Cheezies and ketchup Doritos.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Sno-o-o-o-o-ort!

...Jim Thompson

Why should anyone comply to civilized guidelines of behavior, or to the rules of law?

All the US is succeeding in demonstrating, is that might is right and that those who don't keep in order, will get pecked.

RL

Reply to
legg