where to buy 2nd hand scope in Canada?

Hi, I am looking for a second hand oscilloscope (in Canada), and anybody helps me where I can buy electronics equipments/components in Canada?

What is the equivalent shop to Maplin Electronics (UK) here in Canada?

Thanks SP

Reply to
SP

The best thing would be to find something local to you, to avoid shipping and to give you a chance to check it out before you buy. And I'm sure many of the major cities here in Canada do have surplus stores of some sort that would have oscilliscopes. But you need to specify where you are in order for that to happen.

You could try posting in your local buy and sell newsgroup. Here in Montreal, people every so often do post ads for oscilliscopes.

While most won't occur till the spring at least, many an amateur radio club holds a fleamarket where people rent tables to sell their radio and electronic equipment. That's one way of finding the local hobbyist scene. There is a list of upcoming fleamarkets (though again winter tends to be the quiet time with few happening) at the Radio Amateurs of Canada website at

They also have a list of distributors of amateur radio equipment in Canada at that site, and if one of those dealers is local to you, you might visit it and see if they've got a bulletin board for ads. If so, you could try putting up a note that you were looking for a scope.

There have been various electronic magazines published in Canada over the years, and when they did, they were an obvious place to look. But there's nothing now, and not for at least a decade, so I don't have a clue. I seem to recall one place that advertised in Electronic Now (a US magazine) was based in Toronto. There has never been much venue for advertising in Canada, so I suspect many places that would have used scopes aren't set up for shipping (or at least not without a premium on the cost of the scope).

Future Electronics has outlets in the major cities of Canada. I've not checked recently, but they used to do mail order. I'm sure they have a website, but can't be bothered checking for it. They will be in your phone book if they've got an outlet local to you.

I guess it is Digikey that has a warehouse in Canada, and issues a catalog with Canadian prices, making it easier for Canadians.

There may be still an independent electronic parts store or two, depending on where you are. Most of the old ones have disappeared, but I know here in Montreal there are still a couple. Toronto is bound to have them, I suspect Vancouver too. You'd have to find them by looking in the Yellow Pages, under something like "electronic parts".

There will also be outlets that don't really cater to the hobbyist. Either they make it hard with a high minimum or requirements on how many of an item you must buy at a time, or won't deal with hobbyists at all. Again, asking in your local newsgroup will likely turn up advice on the local places for hobbyists.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

if you are in toronto there are 2 places i remember on victoria park ave segal or something like that, and gordon backer rd off vic park, but who knows maybe elctrosonic has something too. rw

Reply to
Ryan Weihl

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Reply to
Boris Mohar

I cannot remember their name, but there is a store that advertises on eBay, and they are located in Canada - just go to eBay and do a search on Oscilloscope

Last time I looked they had a number of nice scopes at good prices

David

SP wrote:

Reply to
quietguy

Try this link:

They're quite good.

"SP" writes:

--
Steven D. Swift, novatech@eskimo.com, http://www.novatech-instr.com
NOVATECH INSTRUMENTS, INC.      P.O. Box 55997

"SP" wrote in news:1132756111.166348.106380 @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

Canada?

I bought a nice dual 20mHz Itachi from Mr Ford a couples years ago with warranty for about $200 plus PST and chipping . An excellent unit and good buy , Try it =

roma

Reply to
roma

Which part of Canada?

Good sources for O-scopes in the surplus arena tend to be at ham radio swap meets. There are also surplus electronic dealers, such as Sphere Research in BC, or Toronto Surplus and Scientific, that sell such (though TS & S is, in my opinion, somewhat overpriced).

Also, you didn't mention anything about your bandwidth requirements. Pretty hard to suggest a 'scope without more info. In general, though, it's hard to beat the Tektronix 7000 series for being lab-bench workhorses.

Happy hunting.

kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
with surreal ports?"
Reply to
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee

20MHz bandwidth for $200? And not Tek-built?

If you're happy with a deal like that, great, but I've seen Tek

465's and 475's go in about the same price range, and you get at least 100MHz bandwidth.

Keep the peace(es).