Mosquito Repeller

Well, isn't our duly elected neocon government going to get rid of the Clinton greenhead asininity? Or isn't that on their agenda?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Somehow, the mysterious appearance of toads in the new wetland sounds like the kind of thing that the greenies could use for leverage. As far as the politics of the thing, the greenies wouldn't have such power to weild if there wasn't so such an insanely excessive amount of government power in general.

Say, Jim, you're a republican, right? I was raised republican - in HS, I was in on the AuH2O-64 campaign. :-) But my point is, have they lost the vision of "limited government?" (That was a pretty good reason to be a republican back then, as I'm sure you know.)

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Well, I'll be!

All it is is dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane! Banning that is like banning suntan lotion!

Oh. My. Gawd.

I've been reading the page while leaving this post pending on screen, and came up on item 11, under "demagogued out of use":

Population control advocates blamed DDT for increasing third world population. In the 1960s, World Health Organization authorities believed there was no alternative to the overpopulation problem but to assure than up to 40 percent of the children in poor nations would die of malaria. As an official of the Agency for International Development stated, "Rather dead than alive and riotously reproducing."

So the banning of DDT is a neonazi eugenics program.

Grrrr!

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

access

Like the one I saw a few years ago in ads by an oil company citing satellite studies with mention only of data at a specific altitude in the atmosphere that gains the most cooling from increased convection as a result of increasing temperature of the atmosphere close to the planet's surface? Or from temperatures near the tropopause or in the stratosphere decreasing in the last decade or two of the 20th century due to pollutants damaging the ozone layer - and the ozone layer is a major reason why we have a stratosphere where we have been used to one existing?

Don Klipstein

Brewer's yeast happens to be rich in protein that has major bigtime as a specific amino acid the one known as glutamic acid. This one is the acid-as-opposed-to-first-sodium-salt-form of monosodium glutamate, widely complained about for reasons that sodium (a bigtime poison in modern American society nonetheless) cannot be blamed for.

Don Klipstein

Do I see someone depending on an adversary having a burden to prove them being wrong in claiming some exception or higher standard of proof that they are wrong?

Easy enough to show wrong if only a few people make the effort to colect and present the data.

Does anyone have any idea what several hundred dB is? I thought the interior of a jet engine or 1 millimeter from the impact zone of a jackhammer was less than 200 dB!

Don Klipstein

Heck, the Bushies did not even get rid of some "PC" requirement to not detain/screen more than 2 per flight apparently/obviously Arab passengers of airline flights! It has been apparent to me that they did not get rid of this rule (they can since they have and had for the past 4 years the White House and both houses of Congress) because they can gain points from it existing more than they can gain from destroying this rule which they can!

Oh, and how about "for cause" - screen 2 (or more) flight passengers due to fitting a profile, and you catch a terrorist before or during falsely scrutinizing more than 2 that "fit a profile". Oh, how should heads that have functioning brains prevail! But no, better screen the most innocent to enhance an already good case against PC while failing to in an allowed manner scrutinize actual suspects in order to put political idealogy ahead of getting done what needs to be done!!!

Don Klipstein

required

that

and

Mystery solved:

This article is dated only a few months after the initial FTC action. It would appear that Lentek is now in compliance with FTC regulations. How do we know the entire action wasn't instigated by some well known maker of a product containing DEET? I mean, I can still buy magnets that give me better gas mileage, keep my pipes from rusting and relieve my pain. Audio patch cables for thousands of dollars, $500 knobs that improve my sound clarity, snake oil abounds. Why does Lentek upset you so much?

that

I know, hence the ;-) Maybe not surprisingly, Lentek also makes cleaning products. Perhaps they'll soon be manufacturing pharmaceuticals. ;-)

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

mosquitos

clause:

support

them

that

I'm not sure exactly what you mean here, but if you mean that I think that the disputor (FTC) has a responsibility to show some evidence of their claims if they are going to summarily issue an injuction against Lentek, then yes.

natural

that

colect

How do you know that? How do you know what the outcome would be? I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but have you done any studies on the topic? Do you know anyone who has? All I'm getting at is that until someone can show that Lentek's product doesn't work and Lentek has the ability to offer evidence that they do (4 volumes by Lentek's account, including independant claims), then Lentek is only doing what any other company is doing in todays advertising world. AFAICT, research from it's own "labs" has always been good enough for companys to make claims in advertising, being able to offer independant third party evidence is just icing on the cake. It seems to be good enough to get a drug approved.

;-) ;-) ;-) It was a joke. I would imagine that several hundred dB of sound would probably kill. I've heard that those competition grade super-loud car stereos can literally stop your heart. No joke on that.

the

the

CO2,

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

Nah, actually the sound drag record is like 176dB or so. You can't really get much higher without really, really compressing the cabin (think moving the rear wall forward and back at the chamber's resonant frequency about one foot in amplitude). I don't remember exactly but a nuke might be 216dB. Hrm, can't find anything online...

Tim

Tim Williams

dB

grade

that.

really

moving

about one

216dB.

You might be interested in this:

Anthony Fremont

Don,

I have read your last 4 or 5 posts, and found them largely incomprehensible. Is that your intention?

-Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Harris

"Anthony Fremont" wrote

He's kidding, right. Google, tell me he's kidding:

That's does it; Louis was right: "Apres moi, le deluge".

-- Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio Consulting Engineer: Electronics; Informatics; Photonics. Remove spaces etc. to reply: n o lindan at net com dot com psst.. want to buy an f-stop timer? nolindan.com/da/fstop/

Reply to
Nicholas O. Lindan

repel,

17

Solved? I read it and it looks like a spin doctor trying to put a good face on the highly adverse FTC action.

The FTC instigated the action, not some independent company. If someone complained to the FTC that the skeeter repellers didn't work, it's unknown if they were involved with a competitor. But that didn't influence the FTC's decision.

relieve

The FTC came out with an order against the shysters selling those gas mileage increasing magnets that go on the fuel lines. Supposedly they're not supposed to do that any more.

The FTC came down on makers of magnetic medical products and told them to stop lying. See URl

As you can see from paragaph IV and V, the FTC is usually very thorough in telling the shysters what they can't do anymore.

you

Upset me? I'm not upset, I just wanted to know why a company can continue to sell products they consented by court order not to sell. The usual punishment for contempt of court is a swift action to put the violator in jail and/or put the business into receivership.

About the only thing I was upset about is the inability of most other posters to stick to the topic. :-P

[snip]
Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

purchase

make

the

required

prove

think

has

I don't think the FTC goes into one of these settlements without some solid evidence, either from internal or independent authority, that the advertising is unsubstantiated and dubious.

And they very likely have many complaints from consumers that the product doesn't live up to the advertising. Read the complaint submitted to the court - it's also there on the FTC website.

[snip]
Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

dB

grade

that.

really

moving

about one

216dB.

Since the dB scale is logarithmic, 216 dB would be 21.6 Bels, which is

10^21,6 power, and you get the picture - that's a very large number, ezpecially in the physical world.
Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

Minus 10^-12 (W/m^2) which is the unity (er, zero) value. Still very large though.

I wonder if 300dB can even be reached - although I would think an ICE cylinder would be able to do it, between intake and ignition pressures.

Which reminds me, how loud is the space shuttle? They have to discharge water over the pad, not to cool it but to dampen the sound so it isn't shattered to bits!

Tim

Tim Williams

banning

and

was no

40

official of

alive and

As was pointed out in this thread earlier, "Do you believe everything you read?" ;-)

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

Funny you should use the term "greenheads". Once when waiting to take the ferry over to the outer banks of NC--Ocracoke, to be precise, I got out of the car to look into horseback riding at the stable near the ferry, while I waited, and I was attacked by big flies--they didn't sting, they bit! I ducked into a store of some sort that was on the opposite side of the road and the first shelf had insect sting remover of some kind, and there were other people seeking haven, as well. I asked what the heck they were (they had gotten me a dozen or so times in the space of seconds), and I was told they were "greenheads". I have encountered them in other areas of the country and it seems to me that they were the same as black flies--they had a metallic colored wing.

The outer banks, however, was the absolute worst. I didn't even want to walk around--I couldn't wait to get off the island. I'm going to google now that I've thought of them, but wonder if anyone has had the same experience.

--
Memory was given to mortals so that they might
have roses in December.

Normally called 'horseflies'?

Black flies are tiny. And there are more of them. Way more.

For comparison there is Asateague National Seashore.

On the banks I think it's the people who feed the horsefly population.