Stereo

Any help on this please!!!

My stereo has stopped working. Its only a cheap stereo but it fits where it needs to if you know what I mean.

Basically, the CD doesnt spin anymore and I just get an error message. The tape deck doesnt do anything anymore also and the radio just gives a buzzing sound like it is just picking up noise.

Any ideas on what could cause this before I start looking for a new stereo?

  • Internet communications are not secure and therefore Hiden Analytical*
  • Limited does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this*
  • message. Any non-technical views and opinions expressed in this *
  • message are those of the sender, and may not reflect the views and *
  • opinions of Hiden Analytical Ltd. *
Alex Carew

You did not mention a model number, therefore common faults cannot be mentioned to you.

Generically speaking:

Troubleshoot and service the power supply to start with. This is not something that can be fixed over emails. You will have to take voltage readings, trace out the circuits, and determine the defective components. It is possible that the power supply may have been damaged by some other parts failing. It is also common that the output stage components fail, thus causing faults as well.

In the CD player, it is common that the spindle motor, and ribbon cables fail. The laser assemblies also sometimes fail, but more rarely.

For this type of unit, you may find that many of the replacement parts are difficult to find. The manufactures don't normally support after warranty service, unless the unit is a very expensive one.

You may have to send it out for service. This can be complicated to service. If your unit is what I am thinking it is, with the CD and or cassette player combined, the cost to service it can easily exceed its replacement value. These units have a life expency of about 3 to 5 years at the very maximum.

--

Jerry G.
======