Energy Harvesting at the Dollar store.

Was browsing the dollar store and picked up a solar powered daisy. Plastic flower that waves around powered by light.

Has two small solar cells charging an electrolytic cap. Disappears under a blob of epoxy. Out the other side comes a coil that sits under the magnet on the daisy shaft.

Runs on surprisingly low light level. I don't have a high impedance measurement device or the inclination to measure it, but it appears that the cap charges until it reaches a threshold and dumps into the coil. Lower light level increases the time between dumps. The coil has a lot of turns, so stepping up the voltage will take more turns than I'm willing to wind. I just stuck it in the window. I always wanted a plant...

Most impressive thing is that it has about 8 molded plastic parts, two solar cells, a circuit board with a chip, an electrolytic, a coil of wire and a magnet. Comes in a bubble pack with a cardboard insert. It must pass through at least three levels of distribution channel and get shipped from China then trucked to the vendor. And they can sell it to me for a buck!!!

The donut I bought to fuel the bike ride home with it cost more than the daisy.

Reply to
mike

We have a few of those for a while now. The Chinese even know how to waste solar energy :-)

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

We have a local junk store where I occasionally browse. One time I stopped there and they had these goose neck LED Flash lights, which has a laser pointer in it, magnet to hold it on something and spare CR12xx cells in the package for 2 bucks each, I bought every one they had on the rack!.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

I have a couple of these I got free from a Microchip seminar. They are GREAT! Extremely useful in working in the back of things, or under the desk...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Well you know, I try very hard to "not" work under the desk, even though my boss thinks I should at times :)

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Somewhere in China, an engineer is asking herself: "WTF is with Americans and their plastic salad shooters?"

Reply to
mpm

No..they know how WE waste energy - and so make a profit on exploiting our stupidity.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Just the sort of innovation that civilization has been waiting for ;-)

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse