Mosquito killer

Is there a chemical deadly to mosquitos that is lighter than air?

I was thinking about making an device that could kill them. I guess it's probably no better than a bug zapper.

The idea is that since they, supposedly, are attracted to CO2, to make a bucket with an inverted code with a hole at the bottom. The mosquitos find there way to the hole which is releasing CO2 then go instead. The gas is trapped at the top of the inverted cone which should kill them.

|\ /| | \ / | | |

-------

They probably already make this sorta thing but it seems like it would be something rather easy and very cheap and one could place several of them throughout the property which is more efficient than just one or two zappers. The gas would allow one to increase the opening hole size which might be more effective.

Seems they already have many of these types of devices. Most don't use the gas. Probably not necessary. Do these devices work well? I can get a small cylinder of CO2 and rig something up quite easily if it's worth doing.

Reply to
George Jefferson

Carbon monoxide?

Reply to
David Eather

They are also attracted to the right IR frequency so you would need a way to keep the temperature at about 37-38 degrees C. Perhaps a tea light candle under a ventilated ceramic cover inside a can or bottle of the design you describe.

Reply to
David Eather

HF (too reactive), NH3 (too soluble) or HCN but only by a tiny amount. It is also deadly to most other forms of life. Expect a visit from homeland insecurity and free accommodation in some hell hole if you try to buy it.

Pheromone bait will work considerably better. Electric traps make a satisfying frying noise when the creature meets its end.

There are plenty of reviews of existing designs online.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

Helium. It's not poisonous, but it displaces air, so that anything needing oxygen would suffocate. It does, of course, require the concentration to be kept really high inside your trap.

--
RoRo
Reply to

Maybe a few problems:

1) because the density would be really low maybe the could not "fly" in it. 2) their voices would be squeaky.
Reply to
Royston Vasey

I like the inverted cone idea, I'm in Fl. and the local mosquito control uses dry ice (solid CO2) in their traps to attract the mosquitos. The density of air is 1.20 kg/m^3 and CO2 is 1.8 kg/m^3 so you the trap would stay full of CO2, just allow enough CO2 flow to get some gas into the local environment to attract the mosquitos. Once they go in, there would be no oxygen and they would die. It seems from other products that the lights also attract the mosquitos, so adding a light around the top may increase the kill rate. I think you'll need to experiment to optimize cone depth and angle. Maybe a light outside to get them to the trap and a light inside at the bottom of the hole to get them inside.

(B) | \ / | | \ / | (B) is a mosquito attracting light. | (B) |

-------

Mike

Reply to
amdx

We have Chinese-made 'mosquito fryers' here. They are shaped like a tennis racket, use a rechargable battery and produce a really satisfying crackle when you swipe a mosquito. It comes with a flashlight on the handle, pointing sideways in the direction of a swipe and costs about US $4.

Reply to
pimpom

I think I've seen them for $1.99.

The fancy mosquito killers use propane:

Spehro Pefhany

Yep. Those supposedly work well enough that one or two will cover your whole back yard. ...Jim Thompson

CO2 or heat or pheremones attracts them. Microphone detects them.

Motor spins briefly at high RPMs flinging weed-whacker sort of wire to emulsify them.

Or flashtube roasts them. Make the interior into an integrating sphere to use the energy properly.

Or fan spins them around into sticky stuff or into some sort of trap.

Or spray them with oil.

Or do the classic close-in-the-walls-and-crush-them SiFi horror thing.

Or be kind and use a fan to push them through a tube to outside. A tiny sign could say "have a nice day" in mosquito.

When I lived in New Orleans, I wanted to build a scanning mirror thing. A low power laser/lidar would scan the room near the ceiling. When it detected a skeeter, a serious laser would blast down the same axis and roast it. YIKES:POP bug==>smoke. But I moved to San Francisco instead, where we rarely see a mosquito.

John

Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Commercially available units tend to burn propane to form the gas. We had thought of buying one or two for use in the back yard until realizing the horrendous waste of propane involved (why not just put an outdoor grill out there and set the gas to the "leak" setting! :> )

It is very dry here. So, eliminating standing water does wonders for controlling the mosquito population. (OTOH, if you leave a bucket of water outside, it is amazing to see how quickly the larvae develop! look like little *eels* swimming in the bucket!)

Also, being indoors at "mosquito time" helps a lot. The little ladies like it relatively cool when "hunting".

At scout camp, we took the "manly" approach to controlling the pests: a 4G pressure vessel mounted to the hood of an army surplus (of course) Jeep spraying pesticide onto the hot manifold (i.e. a 1.5 ton "fogger"). I wonder how many of us will end up with lung cancer or some other malady attributable to this high exposure to pesticides??

(of course, the approach was entirely ineffective. You need *tons* of juice to cover hundreds of wooded acres :< )

Reply to
D Yuniskis

nd

he

ll

Or add the classic "bug zapper" effect where a spark goes through them.

Or freeze them with a shot of LN2

Or find out what the mechanical resonant frequency of some important part of them is and hit them with a blast of that from a tweeter.

Or have that tube be long enough to take the bugs out into the the open and put a sign on it in bat language saying "snacks"

MooseFET

...and even built in your own garage

JeffM

CO2 is heavier...