Using unused space on a PROM (configuration device) as an EEPROM

Hi,

To configure a Spartan-IIE FPGA, I use a XCF02S PROM. The configuration file in the PROM uses 89% of the memory (this is constant on my 300k gates FPGA). I'm wondering if it is possible to use the remaining memory of the PROM as a way to store my own data, just like if there was a EEPROM attached to the FPGA?

thanks

Reply to
:: Gabster ::

file

FPGA).

I think you asked before, and didn't get any answers.

Is the XCF02S an EEPROM? If so, and if you can address where you want to write, I don't see why it wouldn't work. There is probably some risk of accidentally erasing the configuration data. I believe the FPGA's stop reading when they reach the end of the configuration data, so extra data in the PROM wouldn't bother them.

How about Flash memory? That would seem more designed for storing such data.

-- glen

Reply to
Glen Herrmannsfeldt