SPROM JTAG confusion!

Hello, I'm currently working on a project and I am at the stage where I'm ready to work on the PCB layout. For development I was using the Digilent Spartan IIE development board

and would use the six pin JTAG connector with the Nuhorizons JTAG cable
to program and test my design on the chip. This worked fine for testing purposes, but I then realized I'd have to store the program in a memory chip (using the SPROM connector). After going over the schematics and the datasheet for the development board, I am immensely confused as to how the programming file generated by the Xilinx ISE is used and programmed onto the FPGA. I would like to know exactly how this process works and what FPGA pins and external devices are needed for functionality.

If anyone can help me out or point me to a place where I can figure it out on my own it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Reply to
aosik5

hi there.... first of all the development board that u r using contains a serial PROM for configuration in case u r not programming through the JTAG. Once u select JTAG option in the programming environment the FPGA is configured directly using the JTAG without the use of the PROM. The JTAG uses TDI,TDO,TCK and TMS pins for this purpose which connect to the respective pins of the FPGA. The TDO from JTAG connector goes to the TDI of FPGA and TDO of FPGA goes to TDI of JTAG. TDI and TMS are connected as it is. Coming to storing ur program, first of all u hav to generate a serial PROM configuration file. This is different from the configuration file generated for the JTAG mode. This option u can find in the create programming file tab. Then u hav to program ur serial PROM. This is mostly flash that u can program via serial port and the software for the same will be provided with the tool itself. Now if u r planning to develop ur board then it is best to go for a platform flash solution from the xilinx the compatible platform flash PROM for your spartan IIE device ( XC2S200E) is XCF02S. This has an advantage of getting programmed directly with a JTAG cable. Just search this on xilinx site n read about these PROMs. These r really a wonderful solution so u dont need a third party programmer tool also. Hope it helps... thanx n regards, PUNEET

Reply to
Puneetsingh81